Saturday, May 22, 2010

Humans are silly & Fickle

How we change..
I like toilet paper that tears straight. I don’t like it when it unrolls to the floor. I want it hung ‘over the top’. I am funny about that. Funny, that comes from a person who has used corn cobs and last year’s Sears and Roebuck catalogs in the outhouse. Used leaves, sticks, bark and Spanish moss in the woods. NOW I am fussing because it doesn’t tear straight!!!! JACK, something is wrong with this picture.
I guess what I am saying, if we are not careful and if we humans don’t have something to complain about, we will dream up something. Hahahahahaha! I really try to be positive, it is just part of my makeup ( like thinking I could swim home if my ship sank).

I have mentioned before my favorite prayer is:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.


(then Reinhold added)
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

But personal happiness boils down to the first four lines:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

That is just how I feel today. There are physical things I can change, things that I can fix. I remember very well when our older son was going through a terrible time; I stood at our kitchen sink after fixing something, and cried like a baby. Thinking to myself, I can fix ANYTHING, BUT I CANNOT FIX THIS FOR MY SON. Now, as in life and God’s good grace, things may not be perfect (But from our standpoint), with him and his family, here in Belmont, life is wonderful.

SOOOOO, why can’t I live those four lines? When I was in business I had that prayer on my desk, on the wall and in my book case, reminding me of my limitations. I need to know that NOW.

Thanks for coming by and listening to this rant and raving.
NIte Shipslog
PS:
Pesimistic definition of a children?
God's punishment...for enjoying sex.
Optimistic definition:
God’s gift to take care of you and put you in a nice place of care when you get old.


12 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a hard act to follow for many of us. We all want to fix things and when we can't we feel so powerless. I remember the words ...when I am weak You are strong. Focusing on the Power that can do the impossible helps.

Coffeeveggie addict. said...

this is how exactly i felt right now...actuallt,am a bit confused with many things on how i will accept things that are happening,i know i can fix it but HOW?thank you for the thoughts at least i felt better after reading this.....

takecare you and sherry,
blue

Anonymous said...

HANG THE PAPER LIKE A 'WATERFALL.
LESS PAINTING THE WALL. sam

Helen said...

We are very limited on what we can do for our children. Lots of times what we can't do God can. The Serenity Prayer has been my guideline. Helen

cyclemama33 said...

Do you remember the saying " Grandchildren are gods way of compensating us for growing old"..I really think this is true. But especially the great-grandkids, they are the greatest and not as much stress.

Lucy said...

Jack, I know what you mean about everything. I would do anything to fix my kid but I can not. You are a funny, wise person that I have came to look up to and I am older than you. Your jokes have made a bad situation feel better for me corny or not. I like to believe that your lovely wife has made you a better person than you would have ever thought. You have talent to boot.

Melanie said...

it's supposed to be over the top....lol


Melanie

Fred Alton said...

Of all the prayers I've heard - this is one of the best...and I have prayed it many times. It's a prayer for strength, courage and wisdom. My own personal prayer comes out more often: "Lord! HELP me!" And often, after I've said that out loud and unconsciously, Frances will say, "He is!"

betty said...

I think we like to be in control of situations and be able to fix things, even the unfixable, and that's when God comes in because that's when he fixes it in his timing for his glory, knowing we can't claim any of it since we had nothing to do with the fixing. that's why seeking his wisdom is always the best right??

deep thoughts to think on this sunny Saturday; hoping it is a good one for you and Sherry!

betty

Y said...

How about this definition of children?
God's way of teaching us humility.

Anonymous said...

Some things we can fix, but some are just beyond our control and we can't do anything about but just pray that things get better.

Very insightful post. Have a blessed weekend.

jun said...

aj gave me a book mark with the sereniy parayer on it. it hangs from my purse.teruko says he picked out for me himself. he is 8 years old.
i already learned i cant fix much and certaily not my children. i just put it all in Gods hands. i dont know how people who dont believe in God and think they alone have the power to fix eveything, have peace of mind.
this is a big scary world to me but somehow God sends people my way who are special.they make up for the monsters i invited into my life by making bad choices. sorry so much words but i feel comfortable around you and Sherry, love jun