Sunday, November 14, 2010

Stuff & Lucy




NOTICE: LUCY REPORTS SHE IS ALIVE AND WELL, But being held hostage by Norton! (Norton is a Racoon!) She is having problems getting on her BLOG!

I was reading the other day about some inmates complaints. Cells were too small,not enough privacy , access to computers too limited and not enough exercise.
My mind went to sailors aboard ship. Sailors sleep 24 men in the same space of most cells. Most prisons are larger than the smaller ships, and that doesn’t even count the submarines.

I don’t have the answer to rehab’ing prisoners, I wish somebody did. But it seems no matter how much we spend on prisons and treatment for criminals, they are back in the system in just a few months. It is a mentality thing I guess. I saw an interview in one of the Max-security prisons. The reporter interviewed men who were in jail for robbing banks. The prisoner stated to the reporter, “I am a bank robber. That is my profession. It is a job just like yours as a reporter. Now, I admit being a bank robber has it’s draw backs like me being here in prison, but that is just one of the hazards or side effects of my profession.”

“When you get out, what do you plan to do?”

Inmate, “I’ll rob a bank of course, didn’t you hear me, that is my profession. But next time I will plan better. I am doing a lot of planning while here. Getting some real good advice. I think next time will be different!”

I know you can’t do it, but sometime I think we should just shoot a guy like that. He is never gonna blend in with society. He is always gonna be a thief.

The interview went about the same with several inmates. Kinda makes you proud of our way of accepting criminals, feed ‘em for a few years. Then turn them loose to do it all over again. There should be a better answer. Education? Maybe. But it would have to be different than we are doing it today.

Maybe if we had an island to put them on. Give them seeds to plant and grow … set up their own laws, oh well maybe something………..

Can you tell I ain’t feeling well? Hahahahahahaha

Thanks for coming by the long.

Nite Shipslog
PS:
'If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage it has to be a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe.'
- Fixed Wing Pilot-

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jack, love the font size on your blog, with my eye sight it is a pleasure to take off the glasses and be able to read it comfortably.
What a topic for you. I don't think I have ever read anything by you, with the exception of this, that was not upbeat, optimistic, cheerful, etc.
Read in the Philly paper that the court has decided that over 19,000 cases of crimes from 1198 and prior will no longer be pursued or followed as open cases. This was done to free up the courts and authorities to work more fervently on the newer cases.
Prisoners should be denied privileges unless they have earned them.
Wish we or somebody had some solutions. I wonder is the "pit' and/or "snakes" would work?
Have a nice Sunday it is beautiful in PA with the temperature going up to 65. I have been on the deck several times and it feels great to get some air and sun, Bill

Anonymous said...

Jack I posted at 1:40 PM on my computer and it came up above as 19:40 AM on your blog. What is with that?

Too much time on my hands.

shirl72 said...

Give them knock out pills so they would sleep
all the time. Let Muslins send them on their
suicide missions. They could be put in the Lions
Den and they could display their bravery.

Shirl

Paula said...

Poor little jail birds. Dump 'em out in a war zone.

Fred Alton said...

Jack, there is a reason for this. It's explained in the Bible. Since the fall, man is and has been under the curse. The sin nature cannot be cured by locking up a depraved man/woman. It can only be corrected by depraved man using his free will to choose to see his sin just as God see's it and to feel the same remorse for sin that God feels for it. This is godly sorrow that leads to repentance not to be repented of. God says that blood must be shed before he will forgive a totally depraved man. But God so loved the world that he sent His son to die in the place of the depraved. When conviction of sin comes, then man repents. Repentance brings justification, regeneration and the new birth. The old creature becomes a new creature through the miraculous process of faith in the blood that was shed on Calvary. Christ's work is the only solution to the sin problem.

betty said...

"still" under the weather?? Hoping you shake those germs soon! If you don't offer support to the prisoner once he comes out of prison and walk alongside him, mentoring him, helping him get a job, etc., they are going to go back to what they know best. Chuck Colson's Prison Fellowship has good success rates of people being able to break the cycle of not returning to jail, but it takes "a village to rehabilitate a prisoner" and how many want to "dirty their hands" in doing so. Now I'm not talking about the hard core people who kill, rape, abuse, etc. I'm thinking of those "stupid" criminals who really think "crime will pay" and give them a better life down the road. Jesus does mention visiting prisoners......so he must care for them and his death on the cross redeem one and all, whoever would believe on him.......

feel better!!!!

betty

betty said...

"still" under the weather?? Hoping you shake those germs soon! If you don't offer support to the prisoner once he comes out of prison and walk alongside him, mentoring him, helping him get a job, etc., they are going to go back to what they know best. Chuck Colson's Prison Fellowship has good success rates of people being able to break the cycle of not returning to jail, but it takes "a village to rehabilitate a prisoner" and how many want to "dirty their hands" in doing so. Now I'm not talking about the hard core people who kill, rape, abuse, etc. I'm thinking of those "stupid" criminals who really think "crime will pay" and give them a better life down the road. Jesus does mention visiting prisoners......so he must care for them and his death on the cross redeem one and all, whoever would believe on him.......

feel better!!!!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So sorry to hear you are feeling bad. Take care and get better soon. That wonderful Florida sunshine did me worlds of good. Today the sun is even shining in Ohio, but it's in the 30's this morning. Quite a bit of difference for sure. As far as prisoners go, I wish I had the answer...I don't but God does.

Hope you are better soon.

Lindie said...

I like the idea of an island since we can't shoot them. Give them seeds, hoes and shovels. If they don't want to work they can use the shovels to bury each other! I like that sheriff down in the south west who dresses all the inmates in pink and makes them work for their food and live in tents without air conditioing.