Friday, February 3, 2012

1934 Montgomery Ward Catalog

cat3

(Most boys spent their time on these pages)

I wasn’t born until 1939 but I remember catalogs very well, mostly Sears and Roebuck. I thought for fun you all might like to peek at the 1934 Catalog:

Silk stockings 55 cents….

cat1

And the kids clothes were priced right:

cat4

But we must remember folks in North Carolina were working 60 hour week for $10.00. About $.16 an hour.

cat6

Got you an Ice box for $12.  Do I spy a chamber potty for 49 cents?

cat8

Shirt sensations………………….

cat7

Clothes stay clean washed in the Copper bottom was boiler. look free soap!

cat9

Mama ordered her chicks every year, they came in a card board container with holes punched in the sides. Then from the box to the (?), did she call it a brooder? had a 29watt light bulb to keep them warm.

cat9a

Thanks for coming this way, just remember if you order over a $100 worth, both husband and wife must sign the order form. TRUE

Thanks for coming this way for at touch of the past and thanks to Shirl for the catalog.  She still uses it to order from, I had to send it back.

(BTW I did not get the crown the other day, as I was leaving for the  dentist, I lost a filling just beside the expected tooth for the crown, Dr. Cobo  said, Must fill First! so $159 dollars later, I am out w/o a crown, maybe next week! Will I ever get my kingdom?)

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Observations on Growing Older

*****The five pounds you wanted to lose is now 15, and you have a better chance of losing your keys than the 15 pounds.
******You realize you're never going to be really good at anything – especially singing . *****Your mate is counting on you to remember things you don't remember.
****** The things you cared to do, you don't care to do, but you care that you don't care to do them anymore.

*************************************************

1934_Ford_Coupe

catalog 1934, Ford 1934 (From the cover of my book ‘Sticky’.)

10 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I enjoyed seeing those catalog pages today, but it is the truth, everything is relevant. We earn more today but also every thing cost more so basically we are no better off now than then. Sorry to hear about that tooth. We can only hope next week will be the one!

TARYTERRE said...

LOVED seeing those catalog pages. The dresses were very nice and those shoes GORGEOUS. LOVED the styles from back then. I really LOVED all those prices, too. From today's perspective, they were a real bargain. Of course we know that wasn't the case back then as families struggled to make ends meet. NEVER KNEW Sears or Wards sold CHICKS, though. Very interesting. Great post. take care.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. One could spend indeed a long time reading them. And yes, prices have become 'untrue' in so many ways.
Please have you all a good weekend ahead.

Fred Alton said...

I loved looking at those old catalogs - even back then. That was before I could read! Ours usually wound up in the out-house. Some of your friends won't know what an out-house is? ☻

Paula said...

I think my Mama recieved every catalog there was as she didn't drive so ordered a quite a bit. As for the chamber, our's was white enamel. I should know it was my duty to empty it on some mornings. Pheeeew weee!

shirl72 said...

I always loved looking at the pictures and dreaming what could I order. I was to little but not to little to dream I could order me a dress and a pair of shoes.
I remember Mother ordering the
Chicks. I think I pick them up
one time from where they were
sent. They were in good conditions. She loved to do that.
Good memories.

Shirl

Louis la Vache said...

Oh! Now you are taking «Louis» back to yesteryear!
Those old "Monkey Ward" and Sears catalogs would occupy «Louis» for hours!

JOHN said...

Very interesting post.I almost wish we could go back in time,enjoy life like we use to and slow down,I never knew you could order Chicks.Thanks for the blast from the past.Good luck with your tooth next week

Rose said...

I used to love the Sears Catalog. I used to be a big catalog shopper..........but the companies no longer use national sizing so it becomes a pain and costly to return the items.

Hugs, Rose

Y said...

Richard's daddy was a world-famous chicken geneticist. When he was a kid, he had to "construct" those chick shipping boxes on the breeding farm.