Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Good deeds two, too!

Continuing with good deeds.

I feel so good when I have a chance to do a good deed. There is a satisfaction of the heart.

If you  read ‘Roses are Read’ as I have for a long time, you will find GOOD advice for life. A good deed in writing is a Good deed.

I have heard the statement (sometimes true), NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED! but not always. Most of the time just the smile  is a great reward.

Once we lived in a trailer park on Hampton Blvd. in Norfolk. We were right beside the train tracks where they crossed the Blvd. Just West of the Destroyer and Sub piers. There was a freezing rain falling and I noticed the RR arms were down, red lights flashing, and no train. Traffic was backing up.

I walked out to the road and with little effort raised the arms. The ice had weighed them down. I stood there in the cold as the traffic went by. I had not dressed to stay out long. After about 15 minutes I had to let them down again. I got horns and the finger, as I walked off smiling. I didn’t feel badly after the reaction of my peers. Winking smile

I once had a load of plywood on my truck. I had not secured it well, and when I pulled out onto the highway my heart sunk, I lost my load in the middle of the road. The first guy up to the load jumped out and helped me reload. I tried to pay him, he said ‘no need, just help someone else’.

As God is my witness it wasn’t a week, the same spot, I helped a guy reload a load of OSB (same size as plywood) at the same spot. He said, “You will never know how much I appreciate this.”

I said “Yes I do!” and told him about the week before, we laughed and said good bye. Then I felt real good.

scan1994-96 002

(Me, Kenneth, Eileen and Sherry, much later on one of our cross country trips)

A good friend, Kenneth Conrad, farmer in Missouri, taught me a lot about good neighbors. He was continually helping his neighbor, Mr. Dodd, who was a very wealthy and very old man. Once on Sunday morning 8-10 degrees in a Missouri Winter, Mr. Dodd needed help getting a cow tangled in barbed wire that had fell thru the ice on the little brook. Ken stripped out of his Sunday clothes, down to his shorts and jumped in and wrestled the cow out. Then drove quickly back to his house to dry off and redress and come on to church. One of the many tales of Kenneth & Eileen Conrad’s good deeds.

Farmers, country folk, men and women of the soil, you cannot beat them.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

As Bear Bryant said in a few post back:

“It don’t cost nothing to be nice.”

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1937 Ford her yr

1937 Ford, Her year.

!939 Ford, My year

1939 ford my yr

7 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

No you can't Jack. I know exactly what you mean. Until I got on the blogs and met people like you, Darla, and others I did not realize the scope of wonderful people in the USA. I have to say I live in a bigger city - not saying the people aren't nice - it just isn't the same thing. Sandie

TARYTERRE said...

Unfortunately in my life I can think of too many times when someone did NOT help. You have been lucky indeed to give and receive a helping hand.

Paula said...

I like the two cars and they match you and Sherry. I hire my neighbor to mow and trim by lawn. He was just doing it trying to beat the rain that is supposed to come tonight so I took him some brownies to snack on. Does that count? Heehee. Seriously I can think of things I have done for people but mine is a country blog. When Aol Journals started I had a second blog to write about family and different things and people just didn't read or comment on the second one so I deleted it.

betty said...

That was a good thing you did, Jack, with keeping the RR arms up as long as you did; I'm sure that was appreciated by those that got through on your watch :)

I do agree that country people are probably more willing to help then those in a big city; I think we get jaded and wonder if someone is going to take advantage of us if we reach out to help. However, I would rather reach out to help and take that chance.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I like your posts on good deeds. We don't hear enough about them. It is a good feeling to be able to help others and having someone to count on when you need help is good too.

Louis la Vache said...

As Betty wrote, "country folk" are more likely to help than "city folk" - all the more so here on the left coast, though the problem with illegals has made things very dicey in California's rural areas as Victor Davis Hanson attests... (sigh)

Jackie said...

Reading about these good deeds just warms my heart, Jack.
Amazing how that almost in the same spot that you needed help with the plywood you were able to help someone else. Absolutely amazing...
Heartwarming post.
Hugs to you,
Jackie