Monday, August 18, 2014

The Poconos, my take…

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 021

Our first introduction to the Poconos was back packing thru here on the AT. At that time I did not know we were in the Poconos.  The Appalachian Trail crosses the Delaware River using the walk way on the South bound side of the I-80 Bridge. Entering the Delaware Water Gap Recreation Area. My impression of the area was the mountains are not high, but  Rocky and Steep. 

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 043

(Ever present rocks of Rocksylvania, I mentioned once hikers say PA is where boots come to die)

The big attraction of the Poconos is Recreation.  So much so that the traffic on highway 209 is intense in this area. I see Skiing, canoeing  and Zip-lining advertised heavily.

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 033

(Concerts and Music Festivals are big here also)

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 023

To be honest I have had a problem finding a great place for pictures. The mountains are actually ‘big hills’ if you are familiar with MOUNTAINS.  That is not to belittle the beauty of the area, the backwoods are gorgeous. BUT we seldom see a great ‘photo opportunity’ (No overlooks, etc).

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 025TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 028TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 029

Note the road sign on the right, there are plenty of those!

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 030TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 063

But Ah, the back roads. The little Fit we drive feels like a sports car. These roads are the roads of dreams for the motorcycle and sports cars. Sharp turns and Whoop-de-doos where your stomach goes to your throat when passing over them. The only reason I know this is the folks behind me drive like Sister Shirl and Brother in law Dick. Shirl doesn’t get tickets but is a speed demon, she is a drag and road racer. She has been since she got her license in the early 1950’s.LOL.

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 065TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 039

(Does/Bucks and below a fawn crossing following it mother. Must be a twin because it was followed by one more little fellow)

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 047

It amazes me there are no more ‘deer/car’ collisions on the back roads, we see deer on the roads every trip.

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 055

(We did find NASCAR, but NOT the Mt Pocono Summit)

This park is the nicest park we have ever stayed in. Large sites, great place to walk and camp fires and the smell of BBQ’ing all the time.  Wild life is prevalent.  I tried to get the only  BLACK squirrel I have seen, but it did not turn out too well.

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 045

(Blackie is hard to see)

One thing that has hurt our ‘get out and around’ norm, is we have both been sorta under the weather with upset stomachs. We even skipped church and had planned to attend the local Reformed Church, and for the first time since I can remember we did not go to McDonalds for the split jelly biscuit. Sherry supplied that here.

 

Anyway the pictures we did get I am inserting as you have been reading. Thanks for coming this way.

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 068

(Is this a beautiful barn or what, but too close to the road)

Nite Shipslog

PS:

If nothing else, this park will draw us back in the future.

TIMOTHY LAKE RV PARK 035

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<^>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

12113601743_2363ecfa5f_b

This could be a 1960’s Chevy, but I am not sure. But the paint job will catch your eye!

9 comments:

Paula said...

So sorry you two are not feeling so well. That is the first black squirrel I have ever seen.

betty said...

Hoping you and Sherry feel better soon! Never saw a black squirrel before, I think you did great taking its picture, Jack! The Poconos as you presented them do look pretty!

betty

Rick Watson said...

Sounds like a fun trip. I too have never seen a black squrriel. How cool was that?
I think the old Chevy is either a 63 or 64.
Rick

shirl72 said...

I wish you could catch the Black
Squirrel and bring it to my
back yard never seen a black one.

Sorry you are feeling bad. Watch
what you eat at our age the Stomach wants to see good foods coming down. Hope you are getting close to returning to Historic Belmont. You are always welcome to park out back...if you don't want to get into new things. I'm sure
everything is OK over there I just
never go by...

TARYTERRE said...

LOVE that barn. my daughter is camping across Canada right now on her way to the lower forty-eight.

Mevely317 said...

I've never heard of a black squirrel! Great pictures, Jack!

Please, please get to feeling much better real soon!

Jackie said...

Sounds like beautiful country to me....with all the wonderful wildlife.
Hugs to you and Sherry; I'm hoping that you both feel better. I'm so sorry to read that you have been under the weather. Take care of you!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm glad at least you've had a pretty place to be in while not feeling so good. I appreciate all the pictures of the sights around there. Hope you are both on the mend and feel much better soon.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I forgot to say we do have places in Ohio that have black squirrels. The first time I saw one was in Kent, Ohio where one of my sons attended college.