Sunday, December 14, 2014

Our Amazing Mind

The Mind: the center of consciousness that generates thoughts, feelings, ideas, and perceptions, and stores knowledge and memories.

Everyone's mind is different, sorta like our finger prints. It has been proven over and over that the mind can do marvelous things.
A_surveillance_operator_at_the_Southern_Regional_Operations_Center_spends_a_shift_at_a_radar_scope_looking_for_drug_traffickers_in_the_air_F-3006-SPT-94-000006-XX-0024
Once in another life (in the USAF) I was a computer repairman. Back when the computers used vacuum tubes. Our computer would fill up a 1200 sqft house. It was the cutting edge at the time. (compared to today, it would not do what your cell phone can do). But it was in line with Radar units. Men sat in front of those screens 24/7 on 8 hr shifts.
scope%255B1%255D
After staring at a green screen for hours the operator would get the feeling the screen needed adjusting. They would call one of us repairmen. My supervisor a wise  SSgt had told me. Look the scope over if it looks good and it is working right, take out your screw driver and tell the operator, to let you know when it is better. KEEP YOUR SMALL SCREW DRIVER INSIDE THE BOX BUT DO NOT TOUCH A THING. Ask him if it is better. 9 times out of 10, after a few seconds he would say, “Man that is much better thanks.” he was then good for the rest of the shift.
That worked like a charm. The operator was happy, the maintenance man was happy. It was all in a bored mind.
          doctor-6
Our minds can have us sick, when we really aren’t. Doctors have proven that by giving a placebo and the person gets better.
You can have a terrible headache, and your child gets hurt,  you will actually forget your headache, it is like you do not have it.
***********************************************
I have been  thinking of an old Country song written by Jack Rhodes and Red Haye. 
johnny%2520cash-67f0215a4b6c902d834bb4b8f8173dc2a6f20da0
A Satisfied Mind. (Johnny Cash singing)
How many times have you heard someone say
"If I had his money, I could do things my way"
But little they know that it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten with a satisfied mind

--------------------skip------------
Money can't buy back your youth when you're old
Or a friend when you're lonely or a love that's grown cold
The wealthiest person is a pauper at times
Compared to the man with a satisfied mind

When life has ended and my time has run out
My friends and my loved ones will leave, there's no doubt
But there's one thing for certain when it comes my time
I'll leave this old world with a satisfied mind

--------------------skip-------------------------
I do hope your mind is at ease.
Nite Shipslog
PS:
'Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.'
(I see that every time I go to Mel’s blog at Honey I’m Home. I love it.)
-------------------_____________-----------______
lion_cage
3D Truck paintings. you gotta like this one.
nativity-scene1
(Merry Christmas, if you got this far..)

6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So true that our minds are wonderful! What we think is often how we feel and how we feel is so different depending on the circumstance. Each day comes bearing the gift of the same 24 hours, but how we live it makes a huge difference.

Unknown said...

I remember green computer screens. After staring at one for several hours, white walls will appear pink. It's a weird sensation.

Chatty Crone said...

I actually remember those days of HUGE computers and I remember they had to be kept cold! The rooms they were kept in. And now a cell phone can do more. It is shocking really.

betty said...

That was interesting with the "adjustments" made and how the computer workers thought it was better :) I don't think we even know half of what our minds are capable of doing and learning :)

betty

TARYTERRE said...

That is an interesting story about the computer operators and repairmen. Whatever works to get the job done.

Paula said...

I remember when Mel had to make sure the computers were cool where he worked. Jack this was a very interesting entry.