Thursday, February 22, 2018

Thrill seekers




Historical Photo:
 Two dressed up cuties in Edmonton, enjoying the thrill of the steam locomotive.



 I posted this picture and did not know the orig of it. Grandson Joshua researched it. It was opening day of the Columbian Exposition in Chicago 1893. Thanks Josh!

NOW! Your past or next thrill?
Skydiving, parasailing or have you ever done a bungee jump?  or been launched in one of those huge slingshots (A Reverse Bungee)? What was your idea of a great thrill as you grew up or even lately?

I know Jack Jr. with Joshua and Stephen, traveled some distance to ride some crazy rides.

I have a good friend, Vondale, who has always been a thrill seeker. With him, I have rode (someone’s) horses bareback in a strange pasture, jumped into a raging creek after a heavy rain and climbed pretty steep rock walls. Once at his suggestion we walked and his cousin rode his horse the opposite direction, about what he said was a ½ mile, he waved Okay! to his cousin. Then his cousin shot at us with his 22 cal. Rifle using 22 short shells (that were supposed to go only a half mile). He was sure we could ‘probably’ see them coming and dodge them, even catch ‘em. We didn’t see ‘em and we didn’t get hit!

We have watched Vondale race motorcycles and heard tales of his skiing. He got his pilot’s license.  He takes his nephews, and others on 4 wheeling trips in the rough mountains.
For a while I tried to keep up, but finally gave it up ‘afore I got kilt.’

We seldom get together now that we are old, but a couple years ago we were talking about mine and Sherry’s latest ‘adventure’, hiking the Appalachian Trail. His only comment was, “Jack, I know you can do it, but why would you want to?”  In other words what is exciting about walking in the woods?

At my age I like to watch the grass grow or be fixing something. Are you a thrill seeker?  (I know Myra and Paula are/were!)

Nite Shipslog

PS: Little known facts about the USA, from Cousin Tony:  You can watch more than 100 ponies swim to Chincoteague Island every year in Virginia.

****     *******
The top fixer upper pic. taken near Opp,. Ala
                         1975 Ford Pickup

8 comments:

Paula said...

You were a dare devil. Now watching the grass grow is my speed now. I guess my wildest thing was getting in the car with a guy who was going to let me drive. He put his foot on mine to make me drive fast and not get to the brake. I didn't do that again.

Chatty Crone said...

I would love to bungee jump or jump out of a plane with a parachute - and I may someday when I know I don't have a lot of time left. teehee - I want to do it - but it might give me a heart attack.
sandie

Mevely317 said...

Vondale's comment about y'all hiking the AT cracked me up!

Me, I'm more along the lines of Paula's mindset. I know, most of us have no say in 'how' or 'when' we'll go ... but I'd prefer my last moments not be consumed by terror! :)

Lisa said...

I am not a thrill seeker but I am a chance taker. I will take a chance or leap of faith in spontanious minute. Nick is the oposite. He has to put a lot of thought and planning into everything.
The last thrill I experience was probably a ride in the bed of a pick up truck.

Watching grass grow? Hahaha your so funny.
Lisa

Dar said...

Thrill seeker, I am not but as a pre-teen through high school I rode bareback many times hanging onto Poncho's mane, my feet straight up above both of us. I used to admire the trick riders...standing on the saddle at a gallop was another, neither favored by my Mama. My twin and a cousin used to pull me high in the haymow on the pulley rope, but then they'd leave the barn with me still swinging....only funny when I tattled. Now, my biggest thrill is hitting both feet on the floor each morning. lol
Loveyaguys from up north where we have another 6 inches of snow to move to prep for still another 6-9 by the weekend. Gotta go find and fill bird feeders with seed rather than snow. Stay warm

Rain said...

OMG Jack...your adventures make my knees shake lol...the biggest thrill seeking I had lately was that slide in the snow on my birthday and that's quite enough for me! :)

Nawm D Gerr said...

I am not a thrill seeker, but I threw caution to the wind and learned how to ride a motorcycle and did so for several years with my husband. Memories we will forever treasure, but I am sort of "over it" now. I rode the Tail of the Dragon, but more intense was the "Devils Triangle" - a hilly and switchback section of highway near Oak Ridge, Tenn. The fact that I was a new-ish rider and I was on a FatBoy with 16" handlebars sound like hyperbole, but are factual and make me wonder "what was I thinking?!"

Glenda said...

Not a thrill seeker either these days, had a few motorcycle experiences, did jump off 30 foot tower in parachute rig and decided that was a not for me! I have fun reading a good book or the Shipslog!