Monday, April 1, 2019

Zoning..


Trucks of Art:
 An old GM cargo truck, they used sex to sell back then! ;-)
But for today:
At present there has been no decision from zoning on the building lot. There is a lot of history on this land. I purchased it and an abandoned state road, when a developer’s plans fell through for apartments. My small company built 5 homes here, two are actually large condos. In the process of course I closed the road.

Any ‘city rule’ has exceptions. The head of zoning says my lot must face a public street. In his opinion I would need to reopen the street. I protested by my facial expression I am sure. He continued it would be public access but privately maintained…………, UH OH! My mind going back many years. Back to my plans for a subdivision I hoped to do here in town. After many, many thousands of $$ the straw that killed it was the city council wanting a lot for a public park, privately maintained, until they would later agree to take over. My question was, ‘When some kid gets hurt there, who is responsible?’ Quick answer, ‘You are.”  My FINAL answer was, “Gentlemen, I am out of here.” I still have all the engineering and survey’s somewhere. LOL

(WE have two driveways to our house.) So a couple days ago I submitted a short letter offering to deed one of them, to the new lot giving access to a neighboring street. I haven’t heard back yet.

Understand that so far this has cost nothing and no agreement is binding because I haven’t even started to jump thru the official hoops yet. This lot is ¾ acre with the city rules now I could build 3 homes on it, I just want one.  LOL

As I said there are exceptions to most rules, especially this one of facing a public street and I gave him two Local examples within a ½ mile of here.

So far it is just two friends ‘old acquaintances’ trying to come to an understanding.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Stormy came by about 3 PM and very unusual for her, she walked into the garage where I was working and announced she was ready for food.   We had a good visit,  I missed her destination again. She ate our KFC scraps plus food and milk.

9 comments:

Susan Kane said...

In your face, red tape. You nailed him but good.

Mevely317 said...

What a conundrum! But my money's on you out-lasting them. Have you given any thought to what you're going to name your street? Methinks 'Sherry Lane' has a nice ring to it!

Woody said...

It is a sad state of affairs when we "Own" property yet we have to use it as others see fit, I was I guess lucky in all the houses I bought had quite a bit of land with them so didn't worry about using it the way I wanted to. At one time I owned the largest Building lot in the Village of Carthage, complete with creek and a dug pond ! I kind of miss being a Home Owner !, Oh Well, Keep looking for those Kits, take care, snow slowly melting, you and Sherry take care, sending our regards and well wish's your way !.. Gary & Anna Mae

betty said...

Hope it works out sooner than later to your advantage! Good to hear Stormy was around and hungry! She seemed like she ate well.

betty

Chatty Crone said...

Wow good luck to you Jack!

TARYTERRE said...

sounds like lots of redtape and hoops to jump through. good luck.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Who would have ever thought that back when you got the property it would be such a problem to build on. Knowing that you have already done so, should make a difference. Sounds like it's going to be a long drawn out process. What you've called a ferrel cat seems to be turning into a pet. She's certainly knows where her bread is buttered!

Glenda said...

Your solution sounds feasible, hope it all works out without delay or headaches!

Dar said...

I'm happy you have a building opportunity, that is, once all the bugs are worked out. What's the chance the ordinances will go in your favor? At least there isn't anything signed on the dotted line yet. No way would I agree to them having their way and you footing the bill. Glad you're being careful.
love n' hugs from up north in flu country....stay healthy