Sunday, June 16, 2019

Father, or for me, Daddy!



Those cars of my youth (50’s)

Now today:
He taught me to respect the underdog.
He was sure I could do anything, once I reached the mid 20s.
He showed me love for family.
His laugh was all over his being, he laughed like no other man I have known. He was known to laugh so hard he had to lay on the floor.
He was a genius with a 3rd grade education.
I thought he was as strong as Samson.
He talked to cars and animals.
When a preacher would talk of Grace, Daddy would say, “I’ve got more Grace than anyone you know.” Mama’s name was Grace.
When he was sold on a product he became an unpaid salesman for the product. Two I know was “Quaker State Super Blend Motor Oil” and the ‘Rambler car.
He taught me there was good in people. More good than bad.
He loved me, even when I disappointed him BIG TIME.
I wish every boy could have had a daddy like I did. I know it would be a better world.
He was the oldest of 12 children, they all respected him.
As a pastor, he left every church better off financially and in number than when he arrived.
He received a 100% confidence vote at every church he pastored.
He passed away 1972 at 69 years of age. At the time I thought that was a ‘ripe old age’, boy was I wrong.
I miss his common sense and support, I still miss my daddy!
Nite Shipslog

8 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is a wonderful Fathers Day tribute to your Dad. Happy Fathers Day to you too! They say good fathers make good sons!

betty said...

Happy Father's Day Jack! You and Sherry raised great boys! Great tribute to your dad! Wonderful man he was and he did leave behind a great legacy in the children he and your mom raised!

betty

Chatty Crone said...

That was a wonderful tribute to you dad. He sounded like a great man. Happy Father's Day to you too! sandie

Glenda said...

Lovely post, he was a great man and your entire family benefited so very much from his leadership and integrity. Happy Father's Day to you, another honorable Dad!

Mevely317 said...

How blessed you were to call him 'Dad'! Thank you for allowing us to know him a little bit better!
Happy Father's Day!!!

My Tata's Cottage said...

I love hearing this story of your dad. What a blessing he was to you and so many others. Thank you for sharing and Happy Father's Day to you and all the fathers in your life, hugs to you and yours too

Jean said...

Your father was a great man and he and your mother raised a wonderful family. Happy Fathers Day to you. I sure miss my children's father today. Take care, jean.

Lisa said...

I loved this. Sweet tribute to you Dad. He sounded like a great guy. 69 was to young.
Via your Title: I never called my Daddy “Father”. If I did, he would have probably thought I was being sassy.

Happy Fathers Day.
Lisa