Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Ahhhh that cigarette!


Smoking Car:

 

For today:
Yeah, I know to you non-smokers they stink, they are nasty and leave bad breath.  But you see, you have not experienced the great feeling as that nicotine fills your lungs and that relaxed feeling comes on to relieve the stress due to that decision you must make, or trouble you must face. LOL
They were so good Doctors recommenced them!


Yeah I know, they can kill you! As you are feeling that relaxed feeling, you know that somewhere down in there some little cancer devil is looking for a place to grow. Heck you know that, so you plan to quit next week.

If you are a smoker you know what old Phil Harris meant in the late 1940s when he sang:
 Smoke! Smoke! Smoke That Cigarette
Now I'm a fella with a heart of gold,
The ways of a gentleman,
I've been told.
The kind of a guy that wouldn't even harm a flea
But if me and a certain character met
That guy that invented that cigarette
I'd murder that son of a gun in the first degree.
Well not because I don't smoke myself
I don't reckon they'll harm your health
I've smoked all my life and I'm not dead yet.
But nicotine slaves are all the same,
At a pettin' party or a poker game,
Everything's must stop while they smoke a cigarette.

Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! That cigarette.
Puff! Puff! Puff!
And if you smoke yourself to death,
Tell Saint Peter at the golden gate
That you hate to make him wait,
But you got to have another cigarette.


Sorry I couldn’t resist. I did a lot of tough things in my life, but the hardest thing I ever did was quit smoking. All smokers can find an uncle or grandpa who lived to be 110 years old and smoked 2 packs a day, etc. That was just an excuse to cover our inability to quit. To the smoker it is a very enjoyable habit. I still like to smell smoke especially a good pipe. hahahaha   Every smoker can tell you quitting smoking is the easiest thing they have ever done. They have done it a thousand times.  LOL



It is hard for some folk to comprehend that cigarettes were sold to patients in hospitals. They could even smoke in bed if oxygen wasn’t present.


The nurse could even light it for you! 

Disclaimer: I DO NOT RECOMMEND EVER SMOKING I BELIEVE IT CAN HURT, EVEN KILL YOU!
Nite Shipslog
https://www.discogs.com/Phil-Harris-And-His-Orchestra-Smoke-Smoke-Smoke-That-Cigarette/release/4004051

9 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes, how times have changed. It used to be the thing to do for many of us. Ash trays were everywhere and made it convenient. I knew more people that smoked then didn't. Now it's the opposite. Smokees are a rare thing. and is discouraged and forbidden most places we go. I'm thinking it's a good thing, it is a dirty habit that should be avoided. I only wish I could.

betty said...

I read that recently the original Marlboro man in the commercials died at the age of 90 and he never smoked LOL. I hear too of people without a smoking history that got lung cancer and wasn't even exposed to secondhand smoke, so who really knows how one gets lung cancer? I was never a smoker; smoked 3 cigarettes my entire life and that was enough. I do know a doctor said quitting smoking was the best gift you could give your body for better health. These days I don't know how people can afford to smoke with the cost of cigarettes!

betty

Woody said...

Interesting Post, I too was a smoker, My Dad an Mother, My Grandfather an Grandmother on Dads side both smoked, Gramp smoked Old Growler, Grandma smoked Camels ! Quitting was the hardest thing I ever did ! I think it was the chemicals they put in them !!! Oh well, Humped up inside, 5 BELOW zero this morning, snuggled up with my Honey inside, Take Care, Prayers for Sherry and Gods Healing Touch on her leg ! Love ya's, Gary & Anna Mae

Lisa said...

My dad used to be a cigar and pipe smoker. To this day, I love the smell of pipes.
I remember when cigarette machines were like vending machines.
I also remember sneaking out into the woods and rolling up rabbit tobacco.

Non-Smoker
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

You're singing my song, Jack! As you know, when Tom was diagnosed with cancer back in 2013 I quit my 41-year habit. Unfortunately, I still miss the ritual, the peace of mind. Like Betty said, no-one is sure WHAT causes some to get lung cancer. I'm not a betting lady, but I'm also a big believer in quality (of life) v. quantity.

yaya said...

My Dad was a smoker (he died when he was 56) but Mom never did. (she's 93...hmmm) I'm the only member of our family..besides Mom..who never smoked. I hated the smell and as a kid if I had the flu or if I was in the car the smell made me puke. I'm grateful that I never had that habit to kick! My sister smoked until a few years ago and I know she would go back to it in a minute. Nevertheless I see pts every day who's health was compromised by smoking...their skin, teeth, and lungs took a hit. Not everyone, but most will have issues due to smoking. I remember when the hospital gift shop sold cigarettes and I remember some of our surgeons who were big smokers. We have one now who takes a smoke break between cases..sad but true! I'm glad you quit and I also know that's it is the hardest thing to do! BTW...weight issues are also big problems..that's my habit to kick..sugar!

Susan Kane said...

Thank you for this post! It brings back memories of smokers in the 1950s. I remember all the men rushing from church to smoke outside. I remember flying with one of my babies in the no-smoking part of the plane. Of course just behind me were smokers.

My mom smoked since she was 17, died of COPD when she was 83. terrible way to die.

Again thanks. I really appreciate it.

Glenda said...

Glad I didn't miss this one. I, also have quit and started so many times. Yes, it's an expensive habit, definitely an unhealthy one. I did love the music [and the lyrics are a hoot] on the page with the old records. Awesome post, Jack. I'm quitting again ~ tomorrow!

Peter parker said...

Binance 2fa not working|Binance customer service
If your Binance two-factor authentication is not working, then you should get it checked as soon as possible. Binance two-factor authentication helps in supporting your Binance account from troubles and even provide an extra layer to protect your account. To deal with these errors, you can always call on Binance Support phone Number which is functional all the time for guidance. You can have conversation with the team anytime for providing quality results. Connect with the team for impeccable solutions.