Thursday, April 15, 2021

 Deaf, blind & color blind

Memorable Automobiles from The Past:

 

                A beautiful 1937 Ford Coupe

 

For today:

I have learned a lot since I made the choice to be completely deaf. I was fast losing all my hearing. Hearing aids had reached their limits on one ear, and marginal on the other. My choices were limited to a Cochlear Implant. Once the first one was completed my life changed a lot. I could hear Sherry without reading lips. I could have stopped there and had one ear marginal with a hearing aid. The hearing was so little I dismissed it and chose the second implant even after being counselled that once I did this, it is irreversible, I would be totally deaf when not wearing a cochlear device, the rest of my life. I had never in my life known what ‘no sound’ meant, now I do. At times I question my choice but we must live with our decisions. However at nights I sometimes miss that ‘small’ amount of hearing.

I think of little things now. I have known 3 people who were blind. Two could see forms at times such as people like shadows. The other said he could tell day from night. Once in my mid-30s, I was driving and had to pull over to the side of the road because my vision started to close like a curtain. It narrowed down to about 6” my view was clear, not blurred. I actually thought I might be experiencing death although there was no pain. Within minutes the curtain opened up leaving me with the strangest feeling (Mentally). i.e. WHAT JUST HAPPENED?  It never happened again. Now I think what a blessing to the blind if they could only see 1-2 inches with no peripheral vision.

That brings me to color blindness. IF you were color blind and a Dr. said technology was available to allow your eyes to pick up one color, along with all its hues, what color would you choose?

My first impression isGreen.’

Yeah I know I ain’t right and think strange, but not as strange as Victor whatshisname from way over yonder.

Nite Shipslog

PS: Do my Cochlear implants work?  Yes but my hearing (voices, sounds, tunes) will never be the same. never the same. Sherry does not sound the same, and many voices sound animated or cartoonish, ducks etc.  And yes I do appreciate the technology.

PS2: interesting color 


7 comments:

betty said...

I can't imagine hearing no sounds when your cochlear devices aren't in. So quiet I would think. Each sense is so important for us, but one wonders what is the "best" sense to lose, hearing versus seeing. Yet both senses when lost, people have been able to adapt one way or another to somewhat function. I happen to love to watch people communicating through sign language and at church they sign the worship music words. Its so beautiful.

If I was color blind and could choose the color I think I would choose blue :)

betty

Unknown said...

Wow that is so interesting about your cochlear implants. Did not know they were irreversible. I have a sister-in-law who is getting ready to get hearing aids in both ears. Her hearing has been bad for many years. She is only 59. Hope it works for her. We're getting tired of yelling. LOL My grandmother's sister was born blind. That was in the 1920's. She was blind all her life. I can't think of anything worse. Of course she was born blind so maybe that's better than losing it mid-way through life. Don't know what color I would choose if I was color blind but I know I wouldn't be able to stand red or pink if I had to choose a color.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You are an inspiration to many.

God bless always.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

People like me with no problem hearing or seeing tend to take these things for granted, but we should be very thankful for them. I can't imagine being blind or not hearing anything. It is truly a gift to appreciate.

Maria said...

Thank you, my Lord Jesus Christ, for one more day having the grace to be able to hear you, in this siege of Jericho.

Mevely317 said...

Fascinating question! I'm trying -- unsuccessfully -- to wrap my mind around the idea of total silence. Like being in a vacuum I'd guess?
Not long ago I had to take myself to task for becoming impatient with Tom's hearing loss. (His is bluetooth that he turns to listen to the television, so unless I'm standing right in front of him waving my arms ...) Anyway, I wondered which would be worse: Hearing or vision loss? I almost came to the conclusion, I'd relinquish my vision. Plus, Tom wouldn't have to listen to my sharp intakes of breath (back-seat driving) every few minutes when he's at the wheel. LOL.

Mevely317 said...

That chameleon video is cool! To answer your question? My favorite color is yellow, but in the end I'd have to say green.