Thursday, January 12, 2023

Tracking on the Trail

 Just a note, Okay maybe some notes ;-)   :

Thanks for the suggestions you guys have sent my way for tracking on the AT.  I have searched and looked at many so far.  Selected one and it got too complecated for an old guy to follow the instructions.  SEriously, to my grandchildren this might not be complicated but to my aging head, it is.


Sons, Jack Jr and Mark are coming over  to bring our mail and for an afternoon meal of Mama's cooking. Maybe I can make some sense out of the one that was in the mail to our address over there.  I ordered one that seemed simpler and had a long lasting battery.  I will know this afternoon, I hope. LOL

Yes, we passed severl remote grave yards. Some still maintained, some with growth that about hides the head stones.

We have been thinking of just using the cell phones. I could text her my location once a day.  Cell signals are not consistant on the trail, but usually from a mountain top I will get a signal.


Trackers are local and nation wide. Some use Sattilite, some cell and some bluetooth. The expensive ones use a combination of signals.  We just want a simple one so Sherry will know aprox where I am.  Still have a few days to decide. If the one I ordered doesn't work.

There are times you just have to soak your feet!

Most long distance trackers use cell signals so most of the time they couldn't track. LOL

Part of a Boy Scout Troop on a day hike. Notice the white blaze on the tree bove the center guy. That is a worldwide sign of the AT

I also learned that I must pay to hike thru the Smokey Mountains, that 100 miles will cost me $40. Not a big problem but I was surprised.  Sherry and I walked thru the Smokeys in 10 days and all we did was list our names on a book posted on the trail.  Oh well there had to be changes, we were young then, in our sixties. LOL

I am off for my short walk with a pack here in the Park, I am sure many campers think I am a wandering homeless dude. LOL  I am walking a mile in 20 minutes. That is on Florida flat ground. I walk on the side of the roads in the grass where possible, pavement is harder on the knees, the grass protects the knees. Sherry and I averaged about 8 miles a day,  I am hoping I can walk at least 10-12, or I will be hiking 9 months. LOL 

We love falls and rushing water:

Thanks for reading this trivia...

Nite Shipslog.

PS: I noticed I can't say 'Nite Shipslog' of course, so I guess I will sign off  as 'night ships log' the way the phone hears it. ;-).

14 days to go





5 comments:

salemslot9 said...

I can feel the relief of nice cold water on your Sherry’s feet. :)

Chatty Crone said...

You and Shery walk eight miles every day? That is awesome.
I would arrange a time to call her every day - the same time - have her give you 30 minutes to an hour. If you haven't called - then she needs to do something!

Mevely317 said...

Isn't modern technology wonderful? Of course, deciphering it's a whole 'nother story. Glad you have your 'boys' to offer their 2-cents worth.
So now I'm curious: Given the number of hikers on the AT, are you saying there are no public emergency phones along the way? (Please don't laugh!) Just the idea of being without the ability to communicate with loved ones makes me uneasy.
Reading of your preparations is giving all of us an elevated learning curve!

Susan Kane said...

You two are adventurers.! The public phones along the trail? What a great Idea. Youngsters might not know what they are.

Sherry is doing what you should probably do: rest, soak your feet, laugh a lot.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I hope you soon find an APP and communications system that suits you. Technology can be complicated at times.

Best wishes on your preparations for the big travel. You and Sherry are an inspiration to us all.

God bless you and yours.