Monday, July 20, 2026

Dr. Advice

 Our months of June and July have been swamped with Dr. appts. So today was another of those and that scheduled one more, of course.   Th Dr. prescribed 4 to 6 weeks of  Radiation every day.  WE talked and I asked the alternatives He had two or three none of which he recommended.    

Any way, I asked if one shot was possible.  He was a little reluctant and said we could try one and 'see what happens???'

He again emphasized that Merkel cell cancer was aggressive, and  unpredictable.  Especially on the face they could not widen out the radiation due to danger to other organs.

For some reasons it takes two appointments to do the one shot.  One for an hour to set the machine up evidently to program it.  Then one later to come in.  Sherry heard him say one shot was $800.  I did not hear that.  I actually hear things, but do not understand them, that is my earing problem with these Cochlea implants. 

Sherry searched this disease and found :

Jimmy Buffett Died of Merkel Cell Carcinoma

Beloved singer-songwriter Jimmy Buffett passed away on September 1, 2023, at the age of 76, after losing his battle with Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) The Skin Cancer Foundation.

Buffett, famous for hits like “Margaritaville” and “Cheeseburger in Paradise”, continued to perform and undergo treatment after his diagnosis until his death The Skin Cancer Foundation. MCC is a rare and aggressive type of skin cancer that develops in the top layer of the skin (epidermis). It is about three to five times more likely to be deadly than melanoma and is 40 times rarer, with roughly 3,000 new cases diagnosed in the U.S. each year The Skin Cancer Foundation.

I had to pick a RARE one of course..... This has me to thinking harder, of course...  MAYBE, just aybe I should agree to the 30 shots of radiation.    I am thinking.  This is probably the most cornered I have ever been on whether I should do more or not.  Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

The American CAncer Society gives me an average of 5 years of life after diagnosis. What is so strange about that is, I told the Dr. " Doc, at my age I know I have a few years left, I give it 5 years.  I am not sure it is worth it for the long treatment." He sighed, your derision"

What to do?  I hate hard Questions!!!!!!!

Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

No one can make that decision for you. However, you could see what the progression would be like. The odds if you will. The ability to keep you comfortable. Which of the two would give you the best and most comfortable five years. Is it worth going through 30 treatments or would you feel better without them. Quality of life. I am sorry you have this. I have some issues with my blood that they have been watching for a few years. It could change or stay the same. MGUS. I have been asking myself these questions myself now for a while. Life is not easy.

Chatty Crone said...

PS I care and am sending prayers and hugs.

Anonymous said...

Jack- you seem very healthy to me and do more than I can and I’m younger than you. I know this is just my opinion but I think you should follow the doctors advice. Prayers.

HappyK said...

It does have to be your decision but I would go with what the dr says too. Will be praying for you to have wisdom to make the right decision.

Mevely317 said...

Little Sir Echo here. I agree with what the others are saying (go with your doctor's advice.)
Praying!

Mevely317 said...

What do your sons think?