Saturday, February 23, 2013

Small World

I am always amazed that within  the population of the USA which is about 314 million (the last time I counted Winking smile), that miles away from our home town we can run into someone we know or that you know the same people.

Once in Montana we had a man knock on our door. “I noticed your name plate says Belmont, NC. My uncle was the Postmaster there. He is  Ed Bullard, he is in real estate now.”

100_5161100_5163

(These were taken after one of our BIG snows, Okay, Ma, Mel, Dar, Cher & Woody, don’t laugh!)

100_5164100_5165100_5162

(All these houses are built on land I bought from Ed, we still own the acreage behind this one, it is up for sale.)

“Yeah I know, I have bought several tracts of land from him.”  It is so strange when that happens. We knew some to the same folk. I remembered ED, because although much older than I, could do interest calculations in his head.

Once hiking up Mt. Rainer, we ran into a couple who lived in Washington but were from near Belmont, NC. I have no idea how folks can tell Sherry is from the south Be right back and strike up conversations with her.

YEAH!

In Palmer, Alaska, we ran into a preacher from Shelby, NC, who knew many of my family.

When we volunteered to work in Pascagoula after Katrina, we ran into folks who lived there but knew folks we knew.

I met another man there who had fished with a good friend of mine, and was still his fishing partner in Kannapolis, NC.

It really is a small world sometime. I ask that all the time, what are the odds of running into someone you know 400-2000 miles from your home town?

Elsie and Yogurt

(I am looking forward to seeing this girl who is 2,000 miles away, Elsie)

And then there are look a-likes. In a restaurant once, in Marquette, Michigan I saw a man who looked exactly like my deceased Brother in law Dick. I could not take my eyes off him. Amazing.

In Bangor Maine, some lady came over and started talking to Sherry like she knew her, but she didn’t, she swore Sherry looked exactly like her cousin.

Churches have official ‘greeters’ now, like WalMart. It was once just a friendly thing, some of the friendliest folk always welcomed someone new. Anyway this greeter in Tucson, Arizona asked where we were from Sherry said North Carolina. The lady said, “I have a sister there, but it is a small town you probably never been there, called North Belmont.” We laughed and said we know exactly where it was. We even knew her sister.

Yesterday we were walking and met ‘E.L. & Doris Turner’, from Kannapolis, NC. He asked my name, he knew my dad and he knew the fisherman I mentioned earlier. He also knew Fred Alton and Frances. EL & Doris are retired missionaries. Tomorrow they are leaving for Lawtey:

zzzz_speed-trap-lawtey1

It must have happened to you, the strange meetings and especially the look a-likes.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

In Cuba I once tapped a guy on the shoulder when he turned I said, I’m sorry, I thought you were someone else. He looked at me and said,

 “I might be.”

OH no

I have always wanted to use that line.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

odd8

Another strange one.. The couple seem dressed from the 50’s?

10 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

It is a small, small world! And I think Belmont or is it Beaumont S.C. was were one of my favorite movies was filmed in - A Walk To Remember - ever see that? sandie

Jackie said...

Such a small world....!!
And I had to smile KNOWING that since you are from NC, you have "that" accent. I would drive hundreds of miles to hear it.
Love it.
You know that we have a home in NC, and friends of ours from there (Waynesville) have the sweetest accents. I love to hear them say "bear".... It's "bar" every time.
Love the small world we live in!
Hugs,
Jackie

Paula said...

Interesting! I can't think of any now but sure I've had some encounters like this.

Dar said...

Way back in my high school days I was told that I must be from Phillips because there was a gal there that looked exactly like me...I never did meet her. You've been on quite the journey in your lives. Maybe someday, I can talk Bill into enjoying the trips once in awhile...he sure is my home-body, but I find myself turning into the same. It must be love.
BlessYourHearts......and guess what, We Got Snow....again.

shirl72 said...

Iknow it has happened but now my
mind is blank which is not unusual.
Lots of people knew Mother and Dad.
If not them our Sister and her
husband. Now I am thinking.

Mevely317 said...

Oh gosh, this just caused me to recall the time Dad, Mother and I were at the World's Fair (Montreal?) and spotted one of my father's co-workers! ... I can't get over these "small world" stories!
Most recently? I saved myself from total HUMILIATION just last year ...when I came within seconds of walking up behind and "patting" the rear of one of hubby's fellow pilots, believing it was DH. (What can I say? The shirt and the hair were identical.)

betty said...

I remember a few years back when we were driving from New Mexico to San Diego to visit family. We stopped at a fast food place to get a meal. A lady came up to me and asked if I was Betty; I said yes. She had been someone I knew when we lived in San Diego; I hadn't recognized her because she had lost a lot of weight. I found it amazing (but God didn't) that we were at the same fast food place miles away from San Diego at the same time :)

It truly is a small world!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is a small world. I'm often amazed how no matter where you go, someone is related to someone you know or know of anyway. It's true when you think about it, the whole world is related you know. Hope you all have a wonderful Sunday there.

Woody said...

I think I saw snow in some of those pictures, LOL! Yes it is a small world, never know where or when you will run into someone you know or have met.
Hope you 2 are doing well, we are enjoying Myrtle Beach, they had snow but it melted before we got here!!!

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» is enjoying the series of offbeat cars you've been showing.
:-)