Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What do you smell?



Little KNOWN FACTS:

1.    According to Chinese acupuncture, there is a point on the head that you can press to control your appetite. It is located in the hollow just in front of the flap of the ear.

2.    In a recent survey, Americans revealed that banana was their favorite smell.

3.    When opossums are "playing 'possum," they are not playing. They actually pass out from sheer terror.


Smells…..


 I read that a dog’s sense of smell is 100 times more sensitive than a human.  I don’t doubt it.  But in the little known facts I learned that the banana is a highly favored scent.



I think mine is Pop Corn or maybe fresh baked bread.   I do know they are very pleasant and excite my appetite.  Our AT hiking and travels in the last few years introduced me to the baked goods of PA and NY delis. My mama baked biscuits, pies and cakes but NEVER baked breads, croissants or buns. Biscuits and corn bread smell good baking but nothing like the fresh baked breads of the delis


Once at an AT Hut in the White Mountains Sherry had worked for a place to sleep ‘under the tables’. A standard practice of thru hikers who can’t or do not want to afford the $80 a night fee.  The work was simply setting the tables or tearing down after a meal. The work did not include a meal. They did give us coffee. As we started to leave the cook brought us a small loaf of fresh bread to eat as we walked. Man was that good.


Anyway, that note about the scent of the banana got me to thinking of some of my favorite smells.



Sherry says: Fresh ground Coffee & Chanel #5. Oh yes, the Blooming Gardinia.



Evelyn said: While tent camping, the smell of cooking over charcoal. And in the morning the coffee perking over the camp fire.


Do you have a favorite?

Nite Shipslog

                  1939 Lasalle convertible

10 comments:

Rick Watson said...

Coffee is high on my list, followed by freshly mown grass, and bacon on the grill.

R

Mevely317 said...

Coffee ... yessssss! Vanilla's pretty high up there, as is popcorn (with garlic salt, thank-you-very-much).

But!!! This mention of banana just cracked me up. Years ago, my parents were visiting some island nation or another and had stopped at one of the many road-side stands, sampling and selling rum. After having purchased 2-3 bottles, they resumed their tour of the island. Yet, an hour later mother remarked, "You know, I can still smell that banana!" Turns out, one of the bottle's lids had compromised, and there was banana rum liquor all over the back seat of their rental!

Lisa said...

Ok im gonna be the weird one here. I love the smell of diesel. But I also like to smell fresh laundry coming out of homes while we are out walking. And oh yea! Fresh coffee!

Nite.
Lisa

betty said...

I'm going along with Lisa; going to throw an unusual smell out there. I like the smell of tar used in old time roofing; don't think they use it any more. For more conventional scents, I do like bacon cooking on a Saturday morning :)

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love coffee smells, fresh baked bread and popcorn and so many more... Lots of good smells out there like roses and lilacs. Hard to pick a favorite.

shirl72 said...

I love to smell coffee in the morning..Bananas also have a good smell.
Bread is also a good smell when baking it is hard to choose we have so many,

Unknown said...

I have a very sensitive nose. I like a wide variety of scents and aromas, but I also have a strong aversion to unpleasant smells. I was just out picking my blueberries this evening next to my neighbor's smelly chicken coop. I noticed they had an air freshener (like you would hang in a car) hanging above it. To me that made it worse because I don't like the chemical smell of air fresheners.
I can't believe the smell of bananas trumps chocolate or citrus, though.
I love the aromas of food cooking--Italian food, baking bread, things baked with cinnamon, bacon, even potatoes. I like the smell of coffee even though I've never drunk it. I like some perfumes and colognes. I like the smell of wood. I like many flowers. I like the smell after rain. I like the smell of freshly fallen oak leaves as well as freshly fallen pine needles.
My father has experienced the loss of his ability to smell (possibly age-related). I would miss that ability terribly.

Paula said...

Speaking of the smell of popcorn we were at a store named Popcorn Friday today. They have every kind you can imagine. When it gets so old they call my daughter and give it to her for the deer on her ranch. The buzzards like it too. She spreads it far from the house and the wild animals have a buffet.

Dar said...

Oh the smell of Mama's freshly baked bread, 10 loaves every other day when the 9 of us were growing up....we'd fly through the door after school and she'd have it sliced and ready for butter and homemade raspberry jam. Of course, coffee's up there, as well as firewood crackling, freshly fallen leaves that have been kissed by dew on a fall day, freshly mowed hay. You kindled all our sense of smell, Jack. Thank you for that, but now I think I'll go bake a chocolate cake....that must be one of Sherry's fav. scents. My absolute favorite scent tho, is the sweet smell of a new baby snuggling in my arms. What a gift.
love n' hugs from up north, yes, it's still raining nearly every day with promises of a hot sunny week......hay will be made and weeds picked.

TARYTERRE said...

fresh baked bread. coffee. baby powder are smells i like.