Saturday, July 15, 2017

Building Inspectors, TV & westerns then of course LOVE



Little known facts:
       1. The only member of the band ZZ Top without a beard has the last name Beard.
2. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
3       In Egypt around 1500 B.C., a shaved head was considered the ultimate in feminine beauty. Egyptian women removed every hair from their heads with special gold tweezers and polished their scalps to a high sheen with buffing cloths.
Building Inspectors:
It has been such a long time since I have dealt with building inspectors, I forgot that sometimes you wait, and wait, and wait…..

I waited all day Friday at Grandson Josh’s house for a final inspection on the Storage  building. I busied myself in the yard and finally turned to my Kindle and started reading a Western.


Westerns are my 'go to' for relaxed reading. Usually the good guy wins and gets the girl.  I read for enjoyment. I like mysteries with some twists and turns. I am not fond of a full page describing a tree, man or woman.  I guess not everyone is like me. I like to form my picture of the characters as I did listening to the radio.



Speaking of radio, I loved ‘The Lone Ranger’. I enjoyed ‘Beulah’.  I also liked Amos and Andy.  I had my own radio and could listen late into the night. I discovered ‘Gunsmoke’ one Sunday night and became a regular listener. The opening line went something like this: “In Dodge City there is only one way to handle the killers and spoilers, and that is with the US Marshal Matt Dillon.” At that time as I remember the voice of ‘William Conrad’ would come on saying “I am that man, United States Marshall, Matt Dillon.”



When Gunsmoke hit TV it was hard for me to transfer to James Arness, as Matt Dillion, he did not sound right. LOL.  I soon fell in line and loved it on TV.  In looking back over time (TV WISE) I enjoyed all the westerns, but “Gunsmoke” was my favorite.

Since I never watch TV anymore for enjoyment, I have no idea of today’s shows. I sorta hate to admit it, but this computer is my source of enjoyment.  I am tied to it about as much as I was to TV.


Life does not stand still.  I guess the time of westerns is gone.  Our TV comes on when the boys are here. They seem to watch the old stuff.  LOL  (OUR sons are old, WOW, mid and upper fifties!)  It is hard to believe that Sherry is that old.


She can’t be! When I tuck her in at night, that girl is still

one beautiful lady. I’m smiling now thinking,  I told the grand kids the other day, ”You might not know it, but your grandma is still the best kisser in the world.”  In my opinion, “SHE IS! (among other things)”.
 
Disclaimer: Yep we are close to 80 yrs. Young, and we don’t let that little fact interfere with LIFE!

(Sorry honey I got carried away)
 
This was going to be a short entry, sorry!
Nite Shipslog
 I loved the Corvair, we had one in Guantanamo Bay Cuba for a couple years. It drove like I think a sportscar would.

7 comments:

Mevely317 said...

I never listened to episodes on the radio ... but this got me to thinking, maybe it's not that different than reading a book and visualizing the characters.
Too often, I've seen a televised or movie adaptation of a well-loved book and been SO disappointed by the cast!

Speaking of Josh! Perhaps I missed it, but wonder which of your grand-loves is expecting the next bundle of JOY you hinted at?!

betty said...

When I listen to things like audio books these days it relaxes me and makes me fall asleep. Hubby was watching "Wanted Dead or Alive" today while I was working. He at times likes to watch the old Westerns. I'm like you. I tend to be at the computer more than the TV :)

(and you better be careful calling Sherry old!)

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love the fact that a book lets your imagination take you into a world of your own. It's amazing to me when I see movies made from books I've read and see their take on the way things and people look. It's been awhile since I've seen a good western movie, but did always enjoy them for sure. Hope all goes well with the inspection. I can't help but think it will be all good. You and Sherry with your love of travel and adventure will always be young.

Lisa said...

As much as I crochet, Im listening to a tv show kore than watching it. Its actually enjoyable to just listen.
I was a lone Ranger fan. I also liked "Bananza" and Gunsmoke".
I was all girl but I did have the whole cowboy attire to play in.

Keep writing that love story
Lisa

Dar said...

I don't think Bill has ever missed an episode of Gunsmoke with Arness. Always he also loves watching Young Riders as they deliver mail cross TX on horseback. I love that one myself. There are still occasional great western movies out there too. I don't think I ever 'listened' to a western on the radio tho but would have enjoyed the mystery of it all.
We're off to the lake we camped at every summer with the kids when they were youngsters. Now it's a favorite of Andy's family. We're surprising the grandloves. Have a most wonderful Sunday.
love n' hugs from we northerers where the sun shines bright, YEEHAW!!!!

Paula said...

I too spend much more time watching the computer then I do the TV.

TARYTERRE said...

i liked both conrad and arness. now a days i'm not fond of westerns. too much violence for me. sherry will always be the love of your life whatever your age.