Monday, November 27, 2017

The Family Farmer, the salt of the Earth



Today’s Historical Photo:


 Florence Allen, the first female Attorney in the USA
***********  **********
My Daddy and Momma started off their lives together in the early 1920s. I do not know the exact date. I do know that he started off his life as a share cropper, raising peanuts. He had been raised on a farm, the oldest of 12 kids. He finished the third grade then became a full time hand on the farm. Momma’s parents had a farm and a general store. She always said her folks thought she married down. But she said I knew Frank better than they did. I knew he was going to be something special.

Neither of my parents ever forgot their roots, working people, long hours but they knew most of those folks were honest, most of them church going. They both later worked in cotton or weave mills. They retained their admiration for the cotton mill worker. Long hours but family people with honest values.

I never knew farmers. I knew folk with big gardens.  Raising standard vegetable fare for southern eating and canning. I have mentioned Kenneth Conrad and his lovely wife Eileen here often. Kenneth farmed and worked a 40 hour week for H.B. Chance Inc. A more industrious honest man you will never see. Someone from the country of Missouri sent me a list of farmer’s quotes. I filed them back a few years ago. I just ran across them and will add one each Blog entry. I know most of you have read the medical info. You can probably take the exam and become a medical doctor. That is easy.

My sweetie used to come out of the Doctors office and say, “He says everything looks good!”

I always retorted with, “I coulda told you that much cheaper!” (I have always liked to play doctor!)

I doubt if we will qualify as a farmer after the entries, but you may know a farmer better. A farmer has got to know a lot more than a doctor just to make a living. LOL 

(I think some doctors can make a living giving out aspirins and longer named medications, but that is just me!)

Nite Shipslog
PS: From the seat of a John Deere or Ford 8N Tractor:
YOUR FENCES NEED TO BE HORSE-HIGH, PIG-TIGHT AND BULL-STRONG.
*******  *****************  ************
 Other than the tractor, the p/u the most important vehicle on the farm


5 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

i know what you mean about doctors. some keep you coming back even when nothing is the matter with you. that is a waste of money if you ask me.

Mevely317 said...

"Family people with honest values" ... ya, that means a LOT.
I appreciate our many doctors' advice, but occasionally wish for the good old days (lol) when one family had ONE doctor.

betty said...

Farmers are hard workers and rarely ever get time off. That's the difference between them and doctors :)

betty

Chatty Crone said...

I think it is awesome that you had such great parents - it traveled down!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I had grandparents that had farms. My dad once said your know my mom was the farmer. His dad worked in the steel mills. Farming was a way of life for many back then and even if you worked somewhere else you often did some farming too. Your memories often seem to trigger memories of my own. We are having a super day with sunshine and temps in the 60's here today. Unheard of for us in November !