Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Do you have a Pet Peeve?


Automobile’s of Art:
1925 Rolls Royce Phantom

My pet peeve....
Auto inspections, yep that is mine.  At present 17 states require Vehicle safety Inspections. Two, Maryland and Alabama require an inspection upon sale or transfer. The big question to me is: Do safety inspections save lives?  There is no solid study that proves lives are saved by the inspections that I can find.  You can find contradictory studies. The problem is there are too many variables now.

Texting alone tops the actual safety of the vehicle. Weather also contributes. As an old guy I can remember running tires so slick they were showing thread. Not just me but many poor folk did. But most then were super careful, they knew the danger.  Many cars you had to pump the brakes at least once to get enough pedal to stop. That is the actual truth, I have driven vehicles like that.
Oh yeah, and it was not uncommon to follow a vehicle and feel like you were behind a bug sprayer, it smoked so badly. Those three things, brakes, tires and oil burning are actually few and far between now.

That is a benefit of being a citizen of Florida and NOT North Carolina. I do not have to find a place the coach can be inspected, many inspection stations cannot handle it. Back when I did drive it in, the guy brought a sticker out, I paid the fee and he stuck it on the window. The diesel did not require the emission test. He did nothing and I did not fuss, I knew it was good. But I knew I had just paid 20-35$ for a window sticker.

I can remember when Florida had a VERY STRICT vehicle inspection, much like Virginia. They accepted the fact it was only more government income, not safety and dropped it. 

Funny the other 31 states seem to be doing quite well. Without inspections. I would have no problem with what Alabama does. They require an inspection when the vehicle changes owners. That gives some protection to the potential buyer.

Anyway that is my pet peeve, does everyone have a pet peeve?
Nite Shipslog
Ending on a funny:
BRITTANY (age 4) had an ear ache and wanted a pain killer. She tried in vain
to take the lid off the bottle. Seeing her frustration, her Mum explained it
was a child-proof cap and she'd have to open it for her. Eyes wide with
wonder, the little girl asked: 'How does it know it's me?'


6 comments:

Lisa said...

I have three pet peeves and Nick does them all!
1. When someone is Explaining something and does not complete sentences.
2. When I ask a question and it turns into a 30 minute story.
3. Little stacks of papers and pen with numbers or word notes on them laying around in different places.

haha cute story of the child proof bottle. Boy do I have some funny stuff to tell of things my daughter has said in the past (and present).

Nite
Lisa

betty said...

I remember hearing about vehicle inspections. We don't have them in the states I lived in, but did have the smog (or emissions) testing in New Mexico, Arizona (parts of it) and California (all of it).

My pet peeve. People who don't pick up after their dogs when out walking, those late for church (only parents with young children should be late in my opinion) (but at least people are trying to get there).

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We have emissions testing in Ohio. They call it an e check It's required every other year and you cannot renew you license unless you get one. Thankfully, I've always passed. Like you said some vehicles can emit some terrible smoke when they are burning oil and thanks to the testing we don't see much of that on the road like we used to. I don't have many pet peeves at all and try to avoid them. Life is too short to be anything but happy !

Nawm D Gerr said...

Pet peaves: paying taxes on stuff I have already paid taxes on.

Mevely317 said...

Oh my goodness, do I ever!
For the sake of brevity, I'll go with using UNNECESSARYims: "Where are you (at)?" "Where are you going (to)?" Even the TV announcers say it!

I really hadn't given much thought to vehicle inspections and emission testing. Since my Camry's a senior citizen, I'm glad it's living in Alabama!

Dar said...

No emissions tests here...glad for me but sure with the neighbor kid would turn his tunes down , he's scaring the deer in the field~and it's such a nuisance. Also, I could do without long lines in the grocery store caused by the person who goes through several credit cards to pay and all of them are rejected....and then argues with the clerk that She's making an error. Just happened or I wouldn't gripe. lol
loven'hugs from up north where the warmth of the sun is so appreciated