Friday, September 7, 2018

My daddy said what?


Automobiles of Art
 1927 Model T

But for today:
Many times I am pleasantly surprised at dear personal friends who read this blog. I am actually humbled that someone I know would keep up with our lives.  I will never forget when I was so disappointed with this coach we live in I was about ready to give it away.  It rode like a horse and wagon.
I said on my blog while in New York, “When we get back to North Carolina Imma going to sell his sucker, it rides like a wagon with no springs. (or something like that)

To my amazement, Hank, a good friend from our life in Paw Creek NC, and a super mechanic called or e-mailed me. “I read your blog, Call me when you get back, I can FIX that.” WOW and he really did. That was at least 15 years ago and we are still driving it. He was as good as his word.

In the last couple days we were called by other family friends. ‘Let’s have breakfast before you take off.’ We did. Family friend, Bobby Franklin, married Violet a family friend of Sherries. My dad performed the ceremony for them. 

They were married in the parsonage. Bobby said daddy asked him, “Do you want the short or long version?”

Bobby said, “The short one Brother Darnell!”
Bobby said it went something like, “I know you love each other. Do you agree to love and cherish each other from now on, if so, answer I do!”

Bobby said he and Violet said, “I do!” together. And dad pronounced them man and wife. They have been married over 50 years.

Bobby’s daddy had helped my dad launch a successful career as a pastor.  Every time we are together he (or Violet) tells me something I never knew. Old friends are fun!

Nite Shipslog
Ending on a funny:
JAMES (age 4) was listening to a Bible story.  His dad read: 'The man named Lot was warned to take his wife and flee out of the city but his wife looked back and was turned to salt.' Concerned, James asked: 'What happened to the flea?'  (read that carefully, and you have to laugh!)

6 comments:

betty said...

The short version gets to the point and gets the job done of uniting two in marriage :)

betty

Lisa said...

Me and nick had a song then the short version. Haha. No fancy stuff.
“flea” hahaha.....

Off to Charlotte to see the girl
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's wonderful that you have friends that knew your dad and can tell you unknown stories. They put a different perspective on his life. All and all he sounds like a wonderful man.

Chatty Crone said...

I didn't know there was a short version! lol 50 years is great.

Mevely317 said...

I've an 'old-time' friend who reads my blog faithfully, but would NEVER comment. I know what you mean; sometimes I'm taken aback when she makes reference to something I've written.

'Had to smile at Violet and Bobby's wedding. Grand #1 was married this morning at son's place. When the pastor began he said he asked both Sarah and Joshua if they had any requests and they both said the same thing: Keep it short! LOL.

TARYTERRE said...

short and sweet does it. gets the job done.