Friday, July 26, 2019

This bugs me…



A favorite car
 The beetle bug
Now today:
I was moving shelves around in the upper garage and spotted something that puzzles me. I first thought it may be a dead hummer, it was about the same size. 
 
But when I got to it, it was the shell of a ‘hard shell bug’. About 2 ½” long and 1” wide.
If you can see it has a BIG pincher up front. Two little horns on either side.







Can anyone ID this dude?  I have never seen a pincher this big.
 
I am finding things I started and never got back to.

 
The skipper here had all three legs of the bridge broken off. I have been putting them back together. Thank goodness I never had a skipper this mean looking. LOL I know you cannot see the detail, but most likenesses of skippers has them either smiling or just solemn, this dude ain’t happy. I might just repaint his face. LOL

Nite Shipslog

PS: And you thought I couldn’t do a reasonable length entry. ;-)

10 comments:

betty said...

No idea about the bug. I'll have to remember to check back to see if anyone can identify it. I agree that skipper is not a happy fellow at all. I agree, a repainting of his face would definitely improve his image!

betty

Susan Kane said...

It is a rhinoceros beetle. They battle other bugs, grow to be really big, horns used for fighting and digging. that is about it, but I have seen one, with amazement.

My son is a entomologist.

Lisa said...

We always called them "Pincher bugs" scary looking critters. This is why it's good to have a cat around so Stormy needs to get to work.

Happy Friday
Lisa

Chatty Crone said...

I am shocked - as I have never seen or heard of a rhinoceros beetle. It makes sense - good thing Susan's son is a entomologist. They do look mean don't they? sandie

Mevely317 said...

That's some creepy-looking bug! Now that you mention it, the expression on that skipper's face is rather odd. Maybe you should have a 'caption this' contest?

NanaDiana said...

That is one really ugly bug!!! Yuck!!! LOL about the skipper's face.
Hope you and Sherry are doing well. I have been working non-stop (more full-time than I wanted). Finally gave them a quit date of June 1st next year. Have a great weekend.

ps. I so want to buy a VW convertible beetle!!!!! That is my little 'dream car'. My old roommate had one and we tooled all around town in that little white bug.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Short but sweet as they say! Ugh on that bug. Never saw one like it and hope I never do. Seems you can fix just about anything, but putting a smile on the skippers face may be a challenge! It's a pleasant morning here but we are going to get close to 90 degrees here today. There will be no porch sitting here after noon I fear.

Dar said...

Your bug is an Eastern Hercules Beetle, the telltale sign are his spots protecting his wings. The Rhino doesn't have the spots. These beetles belong to the family of Scarab beetles., this one is harmless but menacing looking. I wouldn't want to be pinched by him. About the Beetle car, I had one about 48 yrs ago and loved it. Even in the snow, it was a powerhouse pushing through with the motor in the back. Loved Baby Red who was one of my favorite rides. Yep, Skipper isn't happy. What'd ya do? lol
loven'hugs from up north where it's another hot but breezy day

Rick Watson said...

It looks like a Star Wars Space ship.

Sheila Y said...

Speaking of VW beetles, Rick’s nephew found Rick’s old Hawaii tag from his VW Beetle in the overhead at Rick’s Mom’s house. Complete with the Honolulu Volkswagen Pacific frame around it. Yellow tag with black letters. He bought screws to fasten the frame to the license plate and it’s now propped on the bookshelf. Ha. Glad you made it home safely. Sheila