Saturday, May 30, 2020

Driving the Snakey roads


 Cars of beauty:
 1941 Chrysler Thunderbolt 

For Saturday:
We decided to picnic Friday on Wautauga Lake over in Tennessee even if it was raining. We left the motor home and got 100 yards when my lover smiled and said, “I didn’t even fix the sandwiches, and you did not get the drinks. WE both cracked up laughing and returned and left better prepared. The weather was good!

I do not know what this flower is, BUT it is BEAUTIFUL!
 Sherry knows there will be a bumper crop of Blackberries the roads were lined with them, she wants to come back and pick!
 I can't see a red barn without thinking of "The Little Red Barn" steak house in San Antonio, if you are around, better try it.

Above is my soft spot next to old barns, Old houses, I want them all. Can you imagine the stories that this house has seen? .........

The trip is only about sixty miles, but 1-2 hours driving thru Blowing Rock and Boone, NC heading toward Elizabethton, TN.  Most of the roads are the normal Eastern Mountain roads, crooked, but beautiful.

 The above sign was every little bit, below is where the trail crosses. We always look for this  sign.

Anyone who knows my girl knows she has a deep affection for the AT. The Appalachian Trail goes thru Pond Mountain Natl preserve to and around Watauga lake. So our plan was to walk a little on the AT. I will say this one more time. While dry camping at Standing Indian CG in NC, in all my wisdom after traveling North America for many years, “Honey let’s sell everything, buy a boat and sail around the world!”

“NO,” she said, shocking me. “Let’s hike the Appalachian trail.” WHAT?  WE made it about 1900 miles. She still loves it.
Friday’s trip:

 This is on the AT. The AT is identified by a white blaze 2'x6" on trees rocks and pavement along the trail Seeing two blazes tells the hiker to pay attention the trail bends or turns.
 WE went in about a mile. We met a total of 5 hikers none were 'thru hikers'.
 Sherry was ahead of me here, on an upper switch back. I get behind taking pictures at times.

 She had the camera and I was ahead this time.
 I wish I knew something about mushrooms....
 Above are the two flowered bushes identifying the Appalachians, A small bloom in the foreground will be a Rhododendron not bloomed out yet in the back ground is the laurel showing up everywhere. A ranger once told me, remember long leaf, long name, short leaf short name. ;-)
 The view from our picnic table on Lake Wautauga. Sherry on the phone following news of a dear dear friend.
 Neighboring table, it is hard to believe some families. I policed up the area.

 We had a good day.
Nite Shipslog  

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you got a chance to get out and walk the trail. . It's definitely beautiful country. Too bad some folks cannot pick up after them selves. Make me wonder what their homes look like. We were always taught to leave a place better than you found it. Happy trails to both of you . May there be many more

Mevely317 said...

LOL! Good thing y'all didn't get to the picnic spot then realize the goodies were left behind! I, too, am mesmerized by old homes. What stories, indeed! How interesting about the "long left v. short leaf" meanings! (Gotta share that one with Sandra, aka Mad Snapper) I'm certainly no expert, but remember a Girl Scout hike where the guide told us: the more colorful a mushroom, the deadlier it is.
So now I'm wondering if that sail-around-the-world dream still germinating? Talk about social distancing!
Have a great day!

Lisa said...

We are riding down to the beach right now, and like you, Im wonder struck as we ride through the country and see those old falling houses.
And the red barns are always eye catchers!

70 more miles to go.
Lisa

betty said...

Beautiful day you and Sherry had. Glad you shared it with us! I know you two enjoyed your adventure!

Betty

Susie said...

Jack, What a crying shame , people have so little regard for their parks. Thank you for picking it up. I will tell you what I think of mushrooms, don't ever eat them. LOL. My daughter loves finding those morel ones, yuck they creep me out. I hope you are enjoying your wonderful trip. Be safe. Blessings to you and Sherry, xoxo, Susie