Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Sixty Four Years, WHAT?

 Somethings were New September 22, 1956:

 

1956 Ford hardtop...
 

Now today:

 Today, September 22, 2020, my best friend, my lover, my wife and I have been married for sixty-four years. I could never put into words what this sweet lady has meant to me.

She has birthed two sons. She was a real mother. She took to heart what here mama had said, “Every child needs a real breakfast, and it is the most important meal of the day.”

This sweet lady prepared a full breakfast every morning even when she was working full time. It was very seldom cereal or oatmeal. That may not mean much to most folks, but her sons remember it very well.

But that is not what I really remember. I remember a woman who was/is so sweet; loved and trusted her husband so much that she has followed me thru many career changes. She supported us when I was out of work for months. She stuck with me until I eventually found that career where I could finally fulfilled those irrational promises I made at 17 years of age.

 

We will eat at her favorite restaurant, “The Red Lobster”. WE will spend an evening remembering those years that mostly seemed to FLY by. BUT most of all I will tell her I love her more than life. I would love her if she wasn’t the most beautiful woman in the world. BUT SHE IS the most beautiful lady and I am the luckiest man in the world.

A little USMC info. At least a ½ to a ¼ of active duty personnel are on duty and alert 24/365. I had two weekends off, plus one short weekend (noon Sat-Monday) and one weekend I had to stay aboard the base.

WE planned to be married on a long weekend, but it didn’t work out. So we were married on a short weekend. I left the Camp Lejeune at noon Saturday and we were married by Justice of the Peace Nunn, in York, SC at about 7:30 that evening.

 


 





 

She will read this and say I’m not beautiful, honey I am an old woman. Strange that, the girl doesn’t see what I see. I still see the girl I married 64 years ago, and she is still absolutely gorgeous.

 Nite Shipslog

 

14 comments:

Frank Malanowski said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary !!! Yall are a true reflection of what love looks like. I love reading your love story.
You two are our goals.

Give her lots of loving
Lisa

Susie said...

Happy Anniversary. You both are great people to have made your marriage last this long. Wishing you many more years. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

bobbie said...

Happy Anniversary, you two lovebirds!
Hugs to the both of you!

Woody said...

Happy Anniversary, You are right you know, Sherry if you don't mind me telling you is "A Beautiful Lady" !!!! You 2 are a Great Couple and wishing you many more Anniversaries to Celebrate !
Love and Best Wish's from Gary an Anna Mae !

Mevely317 said...

She certainly IS beautiful! Aside from son and my DIL, y'all are my favorite couple. Hope your anniversary dinner was great ... oh, and the rain's stopped.

betty said...

Happy anniversary Sherry and Jack!! Beautiful life you had made together!!

betty

NanaDiana said...

What w beautiful tribute to a marriage well-lived. You two have stuck it out through thick and thin and still enjoy life to the utmost. What more could anyone ask for? I am so glad to have met you here in blogland. You are both such inspirations. Hugs to you and Happy Anniversary- Diana

Glenda said...

Happy Anniversary!!! You two are inspirational...sending lots of love from Chobee and best wishes for many more...Glenda

Chatty Crone said...

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ANNIVERSARY !!! ☆
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆ ♥♥♥

Love you two! sandie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Anniversary. You know that you two are my favorite couple and I couldn't be happier for you. Hope Sherry enjoys her dinner. Red Lobster is a favorite of mine too. Good thing they are around everywhere. Time does go by fast when you're having fun. Congrats on those 64 years !

yaya said...

Such a sweet,and inspiring post! Many would love to have what you two have. I'm so glad you're both healthy and active and able to enjoy your life together. Happy Anniversary! Many, many more!

Susan Kane said...

Happy Anniversary to you kids! Quite a lovely love story. You were such kids.

Sheila Y said...

Happy belated Anniversary to a wonderful couple! I’m so glad Rick and I were able to meet you two in person. Love and hugs, Sheila