Saturday, February 4, 2023

Care giving now and in the past…

 Today’s one of a kind:

Called the 'Hell cat'.


Some thoughts for today:

If you have ever been one or close to someone who gave so much to care for someone, you will appreciate what maybe kin, a friend or neighbor is going thru. I speak from experience here, but mostly for my sweetheart. I took my mama into our home and Sherry gave herself completely to mama’s care. She loved and cared for my mama like NO ONE else could or would have. I KNOW the stress and pain she went thru. BUT this is about someone else….

When we lived in Albemarle, NC our closest neighbor was a widow lady who cared for her dad who was bedfast and suffering the ‘long death.’  I think I have heard that term, LONG DEATH, if not, to me it means a person suffering a fatal disease with no cure.

I was in the house several times and the house smelled of urine. The lady had no washing machine, used a black wash pot outside, that her son (my age) kept a fire under.  Her clothes lines were always lined with clothes, blankets and sheets.

I thought for a long time it was from her dad.  I learned later taking in laundry was the only way she had of making a living and staying home full time to care for her dad. There were no social programs then, churches and friends were the only assistance, as I remember.

The few days of isolation I ‘endured’ in the mountains of wind and cold, I thought of a childhood friend and his family. We have a lot in common. Both our dads were pastors. One oddity is he and I have the same VA Doctor and have the same opinion, Dr. Coutts is the BEST.

Phillip suffers from several ailments. He is in and out of the hospital; now is in a wheel chair and on constant oxygen. He and his wife have two children, one was born mentally challenged. That son is now nearing his 50th birthday. He has always been at home. You would be amazed, he was encouraged in music. He now has a dynamic voice and sings beautifully. He also is a great bass guitarist and drummer. He somehow memorizes many songs and sings in church.

THAT woman, named Wanda, has handled ‘her crosses’ and never a complaint. I know at least one sister-in-law she took into their home and cared for. Her SIL’s death was a slow one also, but Wanda cared for her.

Yesterday we visited and took gifts, we had a good short visit.  I could tell she appreciated the visit.

You or someone you know has probably given of themselves to CARE.  Caring people are SPECIAL, appreciate them.

 

Nite Shipslog

 PS:

7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Amen. Caretaking is not for the weak of heart/mind. My father had Parkinson's and it was a long, cruel disease for him. My mother suffered from dementia and I took care of her for many years until I couldn't anymore...she came to live with us when I had four little kids-3 under he age of 4. Back then, there were no programs or respite for caregivers.
I KNOW your Sherry was a wonderful caretaker because of the way you have spoken about her over the years. God bless her.
I hope you both have a wonderful weekend. Hugs- Diana

Victor S E Moubarak said...

What a wonderful tribute to the caring communities, at home, in care homes, in hospices, in hospitals and everywhere.

"Whatever you did for those people you did for me".

God bless, Jack. Thank you.

yaya said...

My sister took care of my Mom until Mom passed in 2020. Mom was really healthy until just a few months before passing at age 94. Anyway, I know many folks who take care of aging parents and I know it is very hard but love can conquer all it seems. Those folks are my heroes. In our Church we do a lot of care taking when asked by family or the person themselves. I love to make meals for shut ins or those not feeling well. But sometimes it's just a sit and talk that they need. You and Sherry enjoy that beautiful mobile home and all the adventures that will go with it! Have a good weekend!

Chatty Crone said...

You are so right - it is very hard being a caretaker. I remember taking care of Andy (baby) during the day and my mom at night. It was rough - but I do not have any regrets.

Mevely317 said...

Oh how this humbles me. I'll be the first to admit, I'm a poor caregiver -- attitude wise, that is. These ladies (and men) are truly angels on earth.
Thank you for these profiles, and may God bless them abundantly.

Lisa said...

I have never been anyones care taker. The closest I ever came was in high school. My first two period classes was spent working in a nursing home. It was part of Health Economics class. I enjoyed it. I remember feeding one resident like a baby. I also remember chasing a nakeed man riding down the hall in is wheelchair. Haha.
I’m sure my day will come when I will have to care for a loved one. I will do it with open arms and full heart.

NIte
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Care takers are our angels on earth. They do a lot that can never be fully explained unless you have been there. I don't think enough can be said about them. Your friend is a good example. My prayers go out to her.