Wednesday, February 1, 2023

The name is William

 Today’s one of a kind:

 


Some thoughts for today:

I came home a few days BEFORE my big hike attempt. There was a man sitting at the table with Jack Jr and Sherry.  He wore a surgical mask.  When he lowered it so I could see it was William.  

William and I have a long time business relationship. I met him early in my construction life. We had lots of good times and he was one of the best with drywall hanging and finishing. He was good with textured ceilings back when they were the THING.

With William we always go over some of the funny things. One was it seemed every time I stopped by a job to see how it was going, I seemed to catch him on break. Sitting on a 5 gallon bucket smoking a cigarette.  I would ask, “Don’t you ever work?”  We would laugh as he answered, “Who the heck do you think hangs this drywall and spreads the mud?”

The best one was the time he called saying something important had come up and he couldn’t make it today. I was frustrated and told him you know we will be behind schedule. He said he would make it up to me, but this was seriously important.

My office was in our daylight basement. Around noon, here comes William towing his new bass boat.

He got out, and held up his hands saying, “I know I lied to you Mr. Darnell, but you have got to see this Bass I caught today!”  Looking at a big beautiful Bass I laughed and said, "I don’t know whether to kiss you or kill you William!”

William is now a very sick man, he has faced death several times in the past couple years. Multiple fights, Cancer, internal bleeding, internal infections and now a GIGANTIC Hernia.  He was here about none of that.  He was here to thank me for all the jobs I had provided for him, But in tears the real reason was to thank Sherry and I for giving life to his best friend 60 years ago, our son Mark.

Since the time Mark left me to start his own Construction Company, William has worked for and with Mark for years. Binding a friendship that most dream of having.

William had drawn close to his Lord and prays a lot. I had never seen a Gigantic Hernia, his Stomach muscles have given away and it appears he has a huge bowling ball under his shirt. Repairs, if possible, require a special Doctor. He was due a consultation this week. If you pray, remember our friend William. He is a joy to know.

Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

What a poignant visit, Jack! Yes, I remember that story about William playing hooky to go bass fishing. In a way, a blessing: Perhaps William's declining health is giving him an opportunity to say the things needing said before it's too late. Too many folks never have the opportunity.
I'm praying now.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How wonderful that your son has such a good friend and that he is one of yours too. I'll be praying for him. That's a terrible predicament to be in. Hope to hear more from you soon back on the trail.

Chatty Crone said...

I will be praying for William as well.

salemslot9 said...

Father I pray you heal William in Jesus name amen.

Woody said...

Prayers Lifted for William, I have had 2 Hernia Surgeries and they are not pleasant but a hopefully William can get his corrected. Glad your resettling Down. Still Amazed you did what you did to attempt the AT !!
Sitting around using Ear Drops, taking it easy till I see the Doctor tomorrow to see how Surgery went !
.
Take Care, Keeping you and Sherry in our Prayers !
.
Love from the Frozen Lands of Northern New York !
.
Love, Gary and Anna Mae

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I am praying for William right now. Also for you and Sherry and family.

God bless.