Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Alaska, Something I wanted to do

Since seeing Sgt. Preston of the Yukon, I have always wanted to see the Yukon. Before that, it was Alaska. Once we had the motor home the trip was within grasp.
At the time we were running with my sister Kat and hubby Dick Lankford. Dick was a retired Church of God Preacher. Around the campfire in Florida, I mentioned wanting to see the Yukon and Alaska. Dick and Kat had lived in Canada and traveled extensively there, but never Alaska. Dick said, “Let’s go!” The next spring we headed out. First stop was in Minot, ND where They knew a professor at a college there. He was not in, but was on the road on a Bike trip to raise money for some project.
Scan_20150204
We saw this little Moose in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
Scan_20150204 (2)
MY first real excitement Dawson Creek, BC, and mile marker ONE of the  Alaskan/Canadian (ALCAN) highway. This is featured in my book Sticky. As in the book Sticky’s dad helped build the highway.
Scan_20150204 (3)
Some of our first wild life on the ALCAN was Mountain Goats, shedding their winter coats.
Scan_20150204 (4)
The scenery was fantastic and contrary to so many nay-sayers, the road was great.
Scan_20150204 (5)
Okay the first of this DREAM, the Yukon
Scan_20150204 (6)
You may have never heard of a sign forest, but one is prominent on the ALCAN, at Watson Lake. Started in 1942 by a homesick GI, Pvt Lindley. He put up a sign pointing to Danville, VA, his home.  IT grew and grew and grew.
Scan_20150204 (7)
It has grown to over 77,000 signs.
Scan_20150204 (8)
Our contribution is the NC TAG ‘JNK-1095’ with our names. The Cortez sign is by Junie and Bettie camping friends from Florida.  Installed years before. (Hint: if you drive to Alaska, prepare you a sign ahead of time, I did not know about this the tag was all I could find that was permanent.)
Scan_20150204 (9)
Camping by a fast running creek and washing the Tow vehicle.
Scan_20150204 (10) 










Dick and Kat sitting by the fire enjoying coffee, as we camped by a creek. Their Bounder in the back and our Overland on the left.
WE cut and carved walking sticks here. FUN
Thanks for starting the trip with us.
Nite Shipslog
PS:
This is one of the BEST trips you can take.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old ALCAN cars
Reminders of the past along the Alcan

10 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I never heard of a sign forest and never been to the Yukon or Alaska but sounds wonderful! Love the pics!

betty said...

Not sure if I will make it to Alaska, but if I do, I'll have to remember that about the sign forest; what a cute idea! Looked like a fun trip you guys all took!

betty

Chatty Crone said...

Okay Jack - I have been to Alaska - it is indescribable. I think it holds a lot of beauty there.

shirl72 said...

I missed last blog I was at a Board Meeting. Good to see MJ. Glad you decided not to buy. I told you about feeling age..Thinking we can do anything until we start and then
say why? I remember you telling
about when you got to Alaska you
and Dick help put a roof on a Church. You both can do anything.


Mevely317 said...

Oh, my Tom would love to do this! We took an Alaskan cruise 10 years ago, but I know that doesn't begin to touch what y'all were fortunate to experience.

I think the sign forest is just precious.

Paula said...

I like the sign forest. John went to Alaska to see his two sisters once. You make me wish I had been a traveler.

TARYTERRE said...

My daughter lived in Alaska for a year or so. It is a beautiful place, for sure. Love the sign forest. Not sure if she left something there or not. How thrilling you did.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That would be a wonderful trip to make. Right now I feel as though I do live in Alaska with all the cold and snow here, but view isn't quite the same for sure. More snow to shovel here today and the repair man is coming to look at the freezer in my fridge again. It is frosting up and it's a frost free so I'm hoping he can fix it for good this time.

Unknown said...

Looks like it was a great trip. I like the idea of sitting by a campfire carving walking sticks.

The goat looks a mess while shedding his winter coat, but it's cool to see wildlife by the road (as long as they don't run into your vehicle).

Annesphamily said...

Aw....this is so beautiful! Alaska and Hawaii are the two places I want to travel. But right now since I am a native, out of work and living in one of our most beautiful states Colorado I will be content. I appreciate these shares, makes my dreams almost seem in reach! Thank you