Saturday, February 7, 2015

Looking for Denali

We left the Kenai Peninsula, headed through Anchorage and headed on North to see Denali or Mt. McKinley, we thought.  WE pulled off the highway to take a break and look down into a DEEP gorge.Scan_20150206 (2)

This is much deeper than it looks, I had to blow up the pic and crop it to see the ‘rafters’.  The water was the color as you see it, an ugly milky color. I was told that is what it looks like coming from the mountain snows and glacier.

Scan_20150206 (3)

WE saw many Caribou, we stopped to get this one in picture.

Scan_20150206 (4)

This is where we took a little walk to see the salmon fisherman along the river. Walking back is where we encountered the MOSQUITOES.  Kat somehow attacked them and she actually looked like she was in a cloud. we were all running and trying to brush then away from her she had her coat pulled up over her head and face.  I have never seen so many mosquitoes.

Scan_20150206 (5)

To see Mt. McKinley, I had to buy this post card. Every time we were close enough to see it, it was covered in clouds. I learned on the Denali tour that you seldom get to see it .

  Scan_20150206

The above picture was taken one night at midnight, Sherry and I went out from camp to locate a lake that was supposed to be close by. It was after midnight before we found it.

For us neophytes, it was hard to sleep at night, we had to cover the windows so we would think it was dark. AAAAA 

Scan_20150206 (6)

We all know the North Pole is not in Alaska, but there is a town named North Pole. You can buy your grand kids a square inch of the North pole. You get a deed and the works. So everyone in the family owns a square inch of the North Pole.

Thanks for coming along. I think tomorrow will be Fairbanks then home.

Scan_20150206 (7)

You probably did not know it but our Stella is on the $1000 bill!  She wasn’t around to get the SQ.Inch of the N. Pole.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

All the roads we traveled were in very good conditions (well except the 100+miles through Chicken AAA)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 

Alaskan Amphib

Another Alaskan Amphibian.

5 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Wow. Those mosquitos would've creeped me out for sure. In my younger days, dad used to refer to me as a 'mosquito magnet.' Thank goodness I don't suppose they care too much for my 'olden flesh."

Thanks a neat spot of trivia about North Pole, Alaska. Great marketing in a simpler time and place! Love it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It would be hard to sleep in the daylight. I often wonder how people that work midnights do it. But I guess after awhile you would adapt. Come to think of it I have no problem drifting off to sleep for a nap when I sit in the sunshine on the patio reading a book. I got out for awhile this afternoon for the first time this week. Mountains of snow everywhere you go here. But there is some melting going on!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It would be hard to sleep in the daylight. I often wonder how people that work midnights do it. But I guess after awhile you would adapt. Come to think of it I have no problem drifting off to sleep for a nap when I sit in the sunshine on the patio reading a book. I got out for awhile this afternoon for the first time this week. Mountains of snow everywhere you go here. But there is some melting going on!

betty said...

Cool picture of you and Sherry at midnight, Jack! I think that would be one of the biggest drawbacks to living in Alaska; getting used to sleeping in the light and then having so much dark the other part of the year. That is interesting about the clouds covering Mt. Kinley a lot so its not able to be seen. Postcard was pretty of it!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

Owning a square inch of the North Pole would be special, indeed. What a wonderful gift for everybody. Love the Caribou. Stella is adorable.