Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pioneer Days here at Zolfo Springs, Florida

WE have been attending Pioneer days for over 15 years off and on. It is interesting if you are familiar with what is called by most as ‘Hit and Miss’ engines. Here is a small one:

100_1132

They are easily recognized when running they ‘pop’ or hit when the engine fires. The the engine seems to take a rest as the heavy flywheels keep the engine turning (the miss). Then another Pop. They are very fuel efficient. The ruling feature and very visible, are the heavy flywheels. From wikipedia:The sound made when the engine is running without a load is a distinctive "POP whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh POP" as the engine fires and then coasts until the speed decreases and it needs to fire again to maintain its average speed.

100_1153

This is a large one, some are a little larger, but he huge ones are too big to haul from show to show. These engine run everything you can imagine, from saws, washing machines, Ice cream mixers to power generators. They were used from the late 1900’s until about 1950.

If I am not mistaken Henry Ford ran his factories with this engine hooked to generators. The engine was two stories high. We saw one in the Henry Ford.

‘Pioneer Days’ is a festival of antiques, a flea mkt  and entertainment.

100_1136

In the fore ground is a huge Stover cross cut saw run by a hit and miss engine.

100_1148

Above is a powered washing machine, not your mama’s machine, this was for commercial washing, hotels etc.

100_1149

Now this could have been your mama’s machine, the three you see here made from barrels are run by a hit and miss.

100_1156 And if you were rich and did not have room for a pasture, this hit and miss horse for the kids and grandkids.

We had a great time just walking. More tomorrow.

Nite Shipslog

PS:  We walked to Pioneer park in 12 minutes, just down the road.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<V>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Okay, I gotta show you what was there waiting for Sherry to buy for me.

100_1173 100_1174

Wouldn’t my girl look cool in this?

 100_1175 100_1176

A 1953 MG (But the keys were not in it!)

9 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

Looks like an interesting show. Loved seeing the washing machines.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've seen and heard those engines on old fashion ice cream makers before. Nice you were so close by and could walk over. No walking here...way too cold and too much snow !

betty said...

Cool looking car! Could be an early birthday present :) That Pioneer Days seemed fun to go to and great that you didn't have to worry about finding a place to park once you got there :) I bet lots of interesting people to watch too while you were looking at the displays.

betty

shirl72 said...

That looks like a fun place to
visit. I cannot believe that
someone washed on that washing
machine. The MG was a cool car.
I had a friend that drove one.
I was a popular car in the 50's that everybody like to drive.

shirl72 said...

PS The car was popular not me.
Need to proof read my comments.

jack69 said...

Hey Sister, I know what you mean, I have the same problem, I always see the mistake after I hit PUBLISH!

However you were popular in school but not as a car. :0 :)

Mevely317 said...

'Scratching my head over here -- and reminding myself how fortunate I am that appliances have come a long, long way! 'Must ask Tom if he knows about 'hit and miss' engines!
That '53 MG looks sweet, indeed!

Paula said...

Hope Sherry breaks down and buys that car for you. Seems like a fun day for the two of you.

Rick Watson said...

You can tell Shirley if she really loved you, she'd buy you that red car :)