Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mothers





Questions answered by six year old kids:
What's the difference between Moms and dads?
…. Dads are taller and stronger, but Moms have all the real power 'cause that's who you got to ask if you want to sleep over at your friend's.
…. Moms have magic, they make you feel better without medicine.

What does your Mom do in her spare time?
…..Mothers don't do spare time.

If you could change one thing about your Mom, what would it be?
…. She has this weird thing about me keeping my room clean. I'd get rid of that.
…..I'd make my Mom smarter. Then she would know it was my sister who did it and not me.

***********************     ************************
The world would be much better if everyone had been blessed with a good mother. The position of mother has changed over the years.  I see mothers on the daily mug shots. 
                  BUT NOT THIS ONE!!!



Mothers can teach, love and protect her brood. Give instructions for the right roads to take, but when we take the wrong one, she grieves but knows she did her best. She can teach us to have clean hands and a pure heart. But some of us are like the old country song that says:
“I should have done what mama told me, but I must have washed my hands in a muddy stream”


(Mama and my brother Jr. Just before he went to War, WWII) 

But this is about my mother on Mother’s Day. In my entire life with mother I NEVER ONCE SAW HER ANGRY. She was the picture of calm. 


                       (Mama and me)

She was the perfect mother and pastor’s wife.  She juggled both with love. In my youth families had family drop in and every bed was used and pallets on the floor. WE had the normal plus evangelists who would stay with us, Mama seemed no different with them as us, but I know it doubled her work.

She always had time for a bedtime story or to stop and kiss a scratch to make it better. When I decided to catch snakes and put them in her canning jars, she only said, “Jackie, take them outside and turn them loose.”
When I was raising Quail and my dog killed them all, she showed me how to clean them and we had a big quail supper.
When I brought a baby crow home to ‘learn it to talk’ (My friends said it would work), she showed me how to feed it corn bread and water until it could fly on its own (without learning to talk!). She made sort of a ceremony to let it fly away. Then we sang the song, “I’ll Fly Away”.

(Me and mama in the back of Jim & Shirl's Studebaker p/u truck)

She was bedfast for the last years of her life. My wife Sherry and Sister Shirl took care of mama, treating her like a queen. Once from her bed she could see some men working on the road. She told Sherry to see if they wanted some water or something to eat.

That was mama!

Nite Shipslog
PS: I did a tribute to Sherry's mom awhile back, She was a wonderful mother. She was also the best Mother in law in the world.

******************  ***************** 

 1904 Susie was born.
The 1905 Vauxhall, built when mama was born.
 

10 comments:

Paula said...

A wonderful tribute to your Mom and to Sherry's. I couldn't like all that company a preacher's wife has.

betty said...

Wonderful mothers you and Sherry both had! Through them, they shaped the people you and Sherry are to this day that you passed down to your sons. I'm sure you see some of that in how you raised your kids and perhaps in how they raised their children too. Happy Mother's Day Sherry!

betty

Unknown said...

I miss them and can't wait to see them again.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your Mom was a lovely person and you did a great tribute to her too. I've only ever known one person in my life that I never saw angry and that was my grandmother. Tell Sherry Happy Mothers Day ! Love to you both!

Dar said...

Jack, what a lovely tribute to you mothers and the mothers of so many of us.
We were blessed highly, weren't we, with such wonderful mom's who always showed unconditional love. Happy Mother's Day Sherry.
Love from up north where we will spend the day with my Mom at the farm. The sun shines warm and bright with a beautiful day ahead.

Mevely317 said...

These quotes from 6 y/o's crack me up! Art Linkletter was right, kids DO say the darndest things.

Your descriptions of your momma never fail to touch my heart. Loved that story of y'all releasing the baby crow and singing "I'll Fly Away."
... on a wing and a prayer.

Mevely317 said...

Forgive my oversight! ... Happy Mother's Day, Sherry!

shirl72 said...

Very good tribute to Mother..We were blessed to have a wonderful Mother.
She loved everybody and treated everyone the same and everyone loved her. I miss her..

TARYTERRE said...

A lovely tribute. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to Sherry.

Lisa said...

Now thats just the cutest Mom ever! Im trying to figure out how you never saw her angry. My mom was angry a lot amd we knew it! Haha.
Tell Sherry I said happy Mothers Day!

Settling in.
Lisa