Friday, October 22, 2021

Playing with fire and hair pins

 Memorable car of the day:

            1953 Buick Skylark

                                                                                    I saw this one on display the end of 1952 in Valdese, NC

For today:

WE have a fire in our fire pit very often, almost every day. I normally start the fire with the coals left from the day before using twigs first and some leaves. Then I start finding larger limbs that have fell overnight or I have missed on other trips around the acre we have here.

Yesterday I remembered to look thru the ashes to see if the glass I had added to the fire had melted. It had not. Since we had a very hot fire I tried again. An hour later it looked like it was yielding to the fire and I folded the round bottom of a jar I had thrown in. WOW, I actually folded it over and it looked like a Taco. I like this.

I had a bottle tree in the woods of old bottles I had found when cleaning up. I retrieved a liquor bottle and added it to the coals beneath the logs I had added. Hey I did melt it a little I was even able to push a hole thru the bottle with my fire stick.

I was so happy with my efforts I took my ‘taco’ out and laid it on the ground. Within minutes it cracked, forever gone. It looked like I would save half, but it eventually broke. SOOOO I guess it must cool down like it heated very slowly.

So I left the liquor bottle in the coals just knowing it would cool with the fire. This morning I drug it from the ashes, it was still hot to the touch and we had rain last night too. I still took it out and laid it on the ground. OUCH, that sucker broke too. I reckon I should have left it the rest of the day.

 



This is all I have left.  But at least I learned I could melt and mold glass. Maybe I need to study this some.

Anyway I am making a Black walnut cracker now. And I remember mama using the curved end of a hair pin to dig out the nuts of a Black walnut. I must ask Sherry if those still exist, do they.
Are they hair pins or Bobby-Pins?

NiteShipslog

6 comments:

Mevely317 said...

How fun is that?!?! I never thought about glass becoming a taco shell -- rather, afraid it would explode. (Just goes to show the ignorance of a 'city girl.')

I inherited my father's nut-cracking kit, but haven't taken the time to tackle the black walnuts. Given what they did to my fingers a couple years ago, I'm not especially interested in violating them. Please, let us know how the Bobby-pin experiment goes!

Susan Kane said...

booby-pins, of course.
Keep melting the glass! That is so cool.

NanaDiana said...

LOL- I use those hair pins to hold this mop up sometimes. I can pull it up into a bun like the kids do, but my hair is heavy that it needs bobby pins to hold it in place.

Good job on the melted glass. If you were ever go to a glass works where they blow glass it is amazing. My brother was an engineer at Corning Glass Works and I have a couple of beautiful pieces from him.

Hope you are both doing well. We are still plugging along here. xo Diana

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You are so inventive, Jack. I learnt a lot from visiting here. Thanx a million.

God bless you and Sherry.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Experimenting like that is the only way we can learn I think. You have a curious mind that never stops. Good for you ! I think it's important that we learn something new every day and failure should only lead to solving the problems too. I say both on the hair pins and bobby pins. I'm sure there is a difference so I must google it now. Maybe I'lll learn my something new for today !

Dar said...

lol, reminds me of when the kids would toss empty beer bottles in a blazing hot bed of coals to melt them for molding into ash trays, key holders, etc. I'm sure they thought if their bottles were shaped different, their folks would never know they were drinking...ha! Like we never did that ourselves. lol The trick is to leave your glass in the heat to cool til the coals are ashes. Then take your masterpiece out once it's cool to the touch. Your Mama was using Bobby Pins...or Hair Pins. As far as I know, they are one in the same. And yes, they are still around. I use them often to keep my lanky locks out of my eyes. Loved this
loven'hugs from up north where we butchered 4 pigs yesterday and cut and wrapped all of them today.......phew, tired but meat is in the freezers for six families. God provides.