Monday, October 18, 2021

When you REALIZE you ARE OLD

 Memorable Vehicles from The Past:

Main street Port au Prince, Haiti when we were there.

For today:

I saw some terrible news Of kidnappings and gangs from Haiti yesterday morning. I looked closely at the pictures. They said this is Port au Prince. I was dumbfounded. There was no buildings like this in Port-au-Prince when we were there. The tallest was 2-3 stories high.

We were stationed in GITMO at the time we went. We took an Embassy flight to Port-au-Prince a couple times. SOOO Remembering those trips.........

  I said to my girl, “Honey, do you remember anything like this in Port-au-Prince, Haiti?”

“No, but you must remember it has been over 50 years since we were there!”

WHAT?? It seems like about 5-10 years.  LOL.  But then ‘Papa Doc’ had died, because we visited his grave. Baby Doc was then the Dictator, so yeah it has been a few years… OUCH

 

This is Papa Doc Duvalier's grave site, it has an 'eternal flame'. Yep it has been awhile I even had hair; Sherry is retired and Jack Jr. is on Social Security. Yep it has been awhile since we were in Haiti. 

We spent the day with these missionaries (The Garlands)  there in Port au Prince. The missionaries have passed away but I understand the oldest daughter is a pastor in Florida. I bet she is a good one. The whole family were super nice folks. Somehow I had contacted them and asked if we could bring them anything. They said that a big ham would be nice, so we took a big one.

Now in my life time I do not remember transportation as above in the USA, BUT, but I can remember my mama washing clothes something like this below.

So yeah, I must admit, I AM OLD!

NiteShipslog

PS:

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Time flies ands suddenly we are older. I remember my grandma had a wash tub like that. We used to take a bath in it when we would visit. A few years later she got a washing machine that had a wringer. It must have seemed like a miracle to her. So much has changed over the years and you have some good memories to prove the point. Praying for those missionaries that have been kidnapped.

Mevely317 said...

Quoting the late great Roy Clark, "Yesterday, when I was young ..." I've been experiencing some of 'those' moments myself lately!
The only time I was in Haiti ('77?) was a cruise short excursion -- we rode horses up to the Citadelle; and never have I ever witnessed such poverty. On the way back to the ship another tourist remarked, "Every American teenager needs to see this."

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you Mevely for reminding me of Roy Clark's song "Yesterday, when I was young". Originally written in French by Charles Aznavour then translated in English made famous by Roy in the US, Dusty Springfield in the UK, and Willie Nelson and many others.

Yes ... if I knew yesterday what I know now ... I'd probably make the same mistakes. But I'd try to correct them sooner.

Thanx Mevely, and thanx Jack for sarting this conversation.

God bless.