Sunday, December 4, 2022

Changes in our life style

 One of a Kind:

 

The Amphibious RV, It actually floats, but does look top heavy to me. LOL If the water got rough I would head for shore.

For today:

Once we retired we expanded our travels. We found a good manager and turned the houses over to him.  Along with the rent and our retirement we traveled. The States & Canada were simple with State, Fed and Canadian Provential parks.

We are regular church goers so we look up churches that kinda parallel our beliefs.  Years ago it was fairly simple we checked the local Phonebook (remember them?)

Earlier we traveled on a whim. For a few years actually drove hundreds of miles for volunteer work for small churches.  Then we did what we could for elderly folks in a few churches. I enjoyed the handi-work and it kept me busy on the road. BUT we have slowed down traveling as much.

I have a mental block for some aspects of religion, churches and ministers in particular.  When we give I sorta like to know to what/whom I am giving, therefore I steer clear of TV ministries. I feel confident at our local church back home so we send our main support there.

This is where the COVID has hurt a lot. There are times we turn to TV ministry. We have attended a church building much less this trip south, due to illness. WE can get our home town services WHEN THE SIGNAL WORKS BOTH WAYS!!

Personally I steer clear of the well-known TV ministries who depend on donations send in. Some seem to be teaching a ‘Give to Get’ ministry. If you send me $10, God will give you $100, etc.

 I believe if we give because we love our Lord HE will supply all your needs.  But the giving is from deep love, never expecting more than our needs.

Every church we have visited we have never felt pressure to give, but when I have watched the larger known preachers and evangelists, I have a different feeling.

I do not remember a wealthy apostle or evangelist in the scripture. I don’t think it is necessary, but you must admire those of God’s leaders who take a vow of poverty.

Nite Shipslog

PS: I  know two known TV ministers, my confidence in them is not high.  But men like Rick Warren are special and an exception:

Rick Warren, when questioned, answered, “I still live in the same house I've lived in for 22 years. I still drive the same Ford truck that I've driven for 12 years.”

 

After his writing success,  Warren also paid back 25 years of salary to the church. Each member of the Saddleback congregation is encouraged to give 10 per cent of his or her income to the church.Aug 14, 2011

 

9 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Rick Warren is a great man. I am not fond of the TV ministers that preach the prosperity gospel. It just goes against my grain. I have been church searching off and on for a while now. It has to be 'right' for me....and not too out there...and just basic bible preaching.

I hope you and Sherry are doing well and that it is warm there. We are around zero with windchill here today. Hugs- Diana

Mevely317 said...

I totally agree about sending $ -- not only to 'professional' ministries, but just about any charity with funds to broadcast their sad stories. It's easy to write a check, but lending your own blood sweat and tears to help those less fortunate is, to me, the sort of giving Christ had in mind.

PS - I sure remember my parents checking the phone book in every motel room while on road trips!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

I agree about checking where to make a donation. Big charities spend a lot of their income on salaries, advertising and administration rather than help the cause they were set up to do. You should see the plush HQs some have in London spending a fortune on rent etc ...

God bless.

Glenda said...

This is a "great one"! Always, I enjoy your writing, especially this one...as I know a wonderful pastor and his beautiful wife who lived in a former chicken house. Down-to-earth people who bragged on Mama's cooking and supported the children in our Church in great ways. Chalk drawings for special times, yes kids were entertained and prayed for. We were so grateful for the Darnells.

Glenda said...

p.s. your readers today all had great comments and I agreed with all, especially Mevely!!!

Susan Kane said...

Strong words. We need to re-start going to church, it is too easy to slip away. Covid was a hit on churches. My brother is a pastor in a church, and sets of a Zoom (maybe) meetings. It impressed me.

Chatty Crone said...

I agree with you totally - another man I don't think you can beat is Billy Graham.

Unknown said...

When you spoke of Rick Warren I looked at my open desk drawer and saw a copy of "The Purpose Driven Life" that he wrote. It's a good book and he's a good man. I cannot say the same for some of these Mega church pastors. A lot of them don't seem genuine and are only concerned about you sending in as much money as they can swindle from you.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Unlike you, I've have lived in the same place a long time.and I've belonged to the same church river 50 years, It's like home to me. Although these days I do a lot of Sunday services on line rather than attending in person. It is safe way to go.