Friday, June 28, 2024

Getting hurt, getting old, yeah I know that, But CAN I? In reality finish a dream?.

 This is a crying entry.  Today  when I opened my computer, one of the following  pictures popped up. I sit here disgusted at myself, hurting, aggravated, and tired of hurting.

Sherry and I have hiked over 1900 miles now on the Appalachian Trail.  The longest we trekked in a summer was 900 miles.  This adventure was ALL Sherry's idea, but once we started it became a love.

Taking a break to soak our feet was even fun. I remember once in Virginia, Sherry said as she jumped up," There is a snake in there!"

I laughed, "Put your feet back in there, that water is too cold for a snake!"  She did and I saw a water moccasin head for her feet."  I told her to get them out, she was right!!'


Much of the trail is like this.  Just a rough walk in the woods.
We passed by many old graveyards.  All of them isolated, some still cared for but all serene.  
In populated areas we hiked thru many Farmer's fields. This is a fence crossing one of the easier crossings. LOL
Walking you enjoy the sound of water cascading down a mountain OR
Just enjoy seeing an isolated lake, you know someone surely must fish there!  

BUT, but the next picture is the one that got me 'crying'. I think this shot reminds me of what I really want to do before "I depart this world. I want to hike the 2190 miles in one year."

Most of you know that last year I tried BUT made it only 25+ miles, part of it the wrong way! I about froze to death.
That is Sherry somewhere in Vermont or New Hampshire.  But scenes like this are so many, and so peaceful and quiet. I really do want to go back.  BUT I ASK MYSELF CAN I REALLY DO IT?  Or will it always just be a dream?

See that backpack? That girl carried 35-38 pounds. I carried about 45 pounds we were about 66 yrs old. BUT  Last year at 84 I had a rough time carrying 33 pounds.


Some of our hikes were short enough for day packs.  But as you see there are some obstacles to overcome also.
Above Sherry going under a dead fall across the trail.  Below is crossing many of the huge rocks on the way.
She claims I took these to show her rear.  Well, she does have a pretty one!

I am sure when I get weller I will have to make one more attempt, one of these days.  She does remind me that the longer I wait the older I get.  She thinks I don't know that. ;-)

Take care,
Nite Shipslog

6 comments:

yaya said...

Hi Jack! I've been a bit AWOL these past weeks. Not sure if it's my age and getting things done taking more time but I'm determined to get a post in tonight. But first I caught up on your previous posts and I'm sorry that you've hurt your shoulder and hope it's healing OK. Now, about that dream of yours. It's hard to say age will determine our adventures but I'm learning that I can't do what my brain says I can. I forget that in my head I'm 35...in my body..well, not 35! Ha! Anyway, I won't say don't do the hike but you know how it went last time. Maybe taking a partner with you in case of an emergency could help but I'm going to hope you think hard and long and make a good decision. You've done so much in your lifetime to be proud of. I'm in awe of you and Sherry and how you both keep going and doing. Sorry this is so long but know you're in my prayers for quick healing and good health. Take care you two!

Victor S E Moubarak said...

You have such a wonderful collection of memories and experiences. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I really enjoy visiting here.

God bless you and your family, Jack and Sherry.

Mevely317 said...

What Victor just said!

I'm more than a little aghast at the image of all those roots extending across the trail. That's something I never considered; how many unsuspecting folks fall flat on their face, wondering how they got there.

I often think about revisiting places I loved, but I'm afraid the reality of what's 'now' would sully my memories of what 'was.'

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We've all got to have dreams, it's what keeps us going. Don't give up but maybe shorten the trip some. A little at a time, you'll get there!

Chatty Crone said...

I love seeing your photos from the past. Great memories you two have made in your lifetime.
Keep your dreams - you never know what will be possible.

Susie said...

Jack, You keep on dreaming. Who knows what you may do one of these days. But I have to say you have done more than so many could or can. I love seeing all the things you and Sherry have done in your lives. I can imagine there's always an interesting conversation at your house. Don't forget to pat your girl on her back side. LOL. Blessings, xoxo, Susie