Saturday, July 20, 2024

Oh, to be there….

 

Pic of the day;

 

 The Kaiser's Palace, one of the interesting  sites on Corfu:


 

 For today… (forgive me if this is a repeat)

If you are me, you cannot stop THINKING!  So you are the same huh?

I have tried to write posts the las few days but noticed I just started whining and complaining.

Well to keep the temp down in the RV here in Florida we are eating sandwiches.  I do love sandwiches. Ham/Cheese, Tomato, Banana, Chic and tuna salads, etc.

Well, as I sat here I noticed I was lost in thought looking at one of Sherry’s deviled sandwiches.  My mind was on the Island of Corfu.  A Greek Island in the Ionian Sea. I am sure I have mentioned that on this blog at some time over the years.




When I went ashore on this island I was struck by the families having picnics in a town park.  They were so happy and kids were just having a ball.  Of course I was thinking of my new wife, this was 1956/57 and we had been married about a year, and I was thousands of miles away from her on a deployment to the Mediterranean Sea. (The Ionian Sea is the big gulf of the Med between Italy and Greece.)

I promised myself if I ever could, I wanted to bring Sherry here on vacation.  That never happened.  But she has heard it enough times to know that I really did want to do that.

BUT, but On another cruise we pulled into GITMO Bay, Cuba.  Again, I saw FAMILIES this time military families. All smiles walking, shopping and living.  AND Again I said to myself, I want to bring Sherry HERE!

So yes, I was actually able to do that. I asked to be shipped to GITMO when my tour was up on the USS Independence.  My Old Man (common title for the Skipper) says to me, “Darnell, I can give you, Hawaii, California, even Spain and you ask for GITMO, Are you crazy?  Why not just stay aboard the Indy?”

“Sir, if you will let me bring my wife aboard, I’ll stay.”

Seriously he said, “There will NEVER be a woman aboard a USN fighting ship!”    For a very smart man, LITTLE DID HE KNOW, lol.

The family beach on GITMO
WE met some big Lizards  (Iguanas) This dude about 3 feet long!

The boys went to school there and also enjoyed Moto-Cross Racing and won a lot of trophies; both were good.



SO YES, WE did go to GITMO for about 4 years, Me, Sherry and the boys loved it, we had the BEST of FAMILY times.

All that came from looking at a Deviled egg sandwich.

BUT at least  I did not complain……… ;-)

Nite Shipslog

PS  Thank you for being here…  Life is supposed to be better for me (on the road) even with a few pains…. LOL  Thanks for all the comments, love you guys.

7 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You have so many good memories and I'm sure the family times were the best. You were blessed with a wonderful family for sure and lots of good times. Enjoy those memories they do help us get through the hard times !

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Man, I love those old b&w photos. Such wonderful memories! Living in GITMO must have been amazing.

Mevely317 said...

Oh, how I love it when you share these olden photographs! (Well, maybe except that creature, lol)

I know what you mean about something triggering a fond memory.... like taking an instant vacation! Maybe it's part of growing older, but I get to thinking of some of my favorite locales and want to go back. Unfortunately, (Tom's) health and finances preclude that right now. Plus, I wonder if it's not wiser to keep them in my mind and not be disappointed at what may have changed.

NanaDiana said...

Thanks for popping by my blog today and leaving a comment. I hear you- our memories are strong as we age (on some things) and yet we can forget what we walked into a room to get. lol I love the pictures and so glad you were able to live as you did, where you wanted to go. I have watched The Durrells In Corfu on Netflix. There were several seasons and it was a wonderful show....it made me want to visit there but I don't think that will happen now.

I hope you and Sherry continue to stay healthy and enjoy every moment of life. Hugs- Diana

Chatty Crone said...

I love your photos and memories of the past. I am amazed that you live in an RV and have them at your disposal to post.
It looks like you and your family have lived a fulfilled life.
Lots of traveling.
Stay healthy. Sandie

HappyK said...

Good and happy memories! :)
We like sandwiches too.

boromax said...

Hey, Jack! I lost you for a while. I don't know if my subscription lapsed or what, but you stopped showing up in my inbox. >> sad face << But now here you are giving us fun glimpses of Corfu and GITMO and skeery iguana monsters! My family lived on Howard AFB in Panama for a few years in the early '90s. It was a great place to live, and we saw our share of iguanas, too. Stay cool, Brother! ~Ed.

PS: all my current blogging is at trivialmusicsilliness.wordpress.com ; i.e., all of Blogger blogs, although still there, have not had any new content for a couple of years.