I remember Roosevelt’s death. I Remember Truman mostly as a teenager.I haven’t noticed a big difference,no matter what party is in power. WE always gripe if it is not ours. But, every president in my life time has done something notable, something good, here are the ones I remember:
Eisenhower, Republican. Democrats said he would ruin the country, head a military government.
BUT we did get:
1. The interstate road system.
2. A cease fire in Korea.
3. An increase in the Social Security Program.
But the USA did:
1. Head for the moon at His promise and dream.
2. Keep missiles from Cuba that could have destroyed the USA
3. Enjoy a very good economy.
But we citizens got:
1. An 11 Billion dollar tax cut
2. A bill providing free medical care (Medicare) to the aged under Social Security was enacted.
3. Medicaid was founded and federal aid to education at all levels was greatly expanded.
1. He ended the war in Vietnam
2. Set about Détente
3. Got a Ballistic Missile treaty with the USSR and opened China.During his administration we landed on the moon, to fulfill Kennedys promise.
1. He swallowed hard, made a tough decision. He pardoned Nixon and took months of heat for the hard decision. I think he was the only president to be called before a congressional committee to explain his actions. It was the right decision. It saved the country millions of dollars and many months of embarrassing press worldwide. Senator Ted Kennedy said that he had initially been opposed to the pardon of Nixon, but admitted that history had proved Ford to have made the correct decision.
2. Ford signed the Helsinki Accords, marking a move toward détente in the Cold War.
Sorry to be so long, thanks for coming by the Log. And yes, I know very well that each president made mistakes, he had his own problems, but I am here to say HE DID NOT AND COULD NOT DESTROY THIS COUNTRY, The United States is a great country, WE the people will not allow it to be destroyed, will we? NO!
Just my opinion.
The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the bathroom.