Thursday, August 1, 2013

Old? Who cares?

(I promise this is the last old shot)

We travel and walk a lot. So we have a lot of time to ourselves.  Sherry doesn’t always tell me what she’s thinking, sometimes I tell her other times I don’t unless she asks.  Sure we are old. I have lived productively  longer than my parents. They were made of better stuff than I. They lived thru the great depression. They ate water gravy (sometimes called Hoover gravy) and biscuits many meals. My daddy stuffed tires with rags (because they would not hold air) to look for work or get to work. They were raising 3 children. (the rest of us came later)

When I think of what they endured, and still LOVED and laughed at life; I feel sorta small if I complain, so I do not want to complain. I have had a great life. I have traveled and saw more than the past several generations of our family.

Old and wise

I met, courted and married the best woman alive. If I were to depart tomorrow or tonight, this guy has enjoyed life.  How could I complain, my daddy taught me about life, he had a robust laugh, his teaching was not always in words, he lived it.

What once was

We know about the cycle of life of animals. If you read Paula, Mel, or Dar who see the animal world up close and personal, you know there is a cycle of life for the animals.

We too have a cycle. I miss my mama, daddy, brothers and sister, but they are gone, as I will be. The family will grieve for a period. One or two will remember longer than others, but eventually my life will be relegated to the past, so will yours.

Old folks save where they can

Should I worry about my bald head, or wrinkles? Am I gonna fuss because I cannot hear? Probably, but I know it makes no difference in the scheme of things, so every once in a while away from everyone, this old man  will catch himself,  and just sit down and have a good laugh and say to myself, “Who gives a rat’s a$$? When you  are gone Jack, you won’t be around to know what happens in the life that continues, you have had your time. Either you make a difference now or you will never.”

I love life. But I won’t miss it, will I? (Daddy said I wouldn’t!)

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

This is not a downer, it is facts. If you are worried about gray hair, no hair,what to wear, wrinkles or a little leakage at times, YOU ARE WASTING TIME that could be better spent.

TOO OLD

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Come on and let’s put the top down, open the rumble seat and take a ride:

1929Packard-Standard8-Model633-Phaeton

It didn't have a rumble seat, but we can pretend in this 1929 Packard.

13 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Jack I feel like I wrote this myself. WHO CARES in the scheme of things whether I have a hair out my chin or not. I want to live my life while God gives it to me and when He takes me I will be HOME. HOME IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS. One here and one there. So while we need to take care of ourselves we sure don't need to dwell on it. sandie

Louis la Vache said...

Great cartoons - and you KNOW «Louis» is happy to see a Packard!

Lucy said...

You almost said somewhat the same thing I did on a comment to Chatty. I told her the new pantsuit would not be just worn to a wedding, I will be buried in it. I will be dead so it won't matter if it is out of style. now I have to read what you said on Wed.about being old.

Sara S. said...

Words of Wisdom from a wonderful man! Great posts the last couple of days (sorry, I'm a little behind). I love all the cartoons to go along with the posts and all of the classic cars.
Stay sweet and hugs to you and Sherry.

Helen said...

Just who will care after we are gone. Maybe our children will think of us sometimes and someone will say" do you remember old so and so"? Whatever happened to them? Oh they passed many years ago.

Anonymous said...

I met, courted and married the best woman alive. If I were to depart tomorrow or tonight, this guy has enjoyed life.

I often say there is no Perfect but that statement is Perfect.

shirl72 said...

I am glad that wrinkles don't hurt.
That we have to be thankful for.
I think we need to get off of this
old thing I felt young until I
started reading about getting old.

You are right Dad and Mother taught
us to enjoy life. All we had to
do is watch the way they lived.
We had wonderful parents. I do miss them.

TARYTERRE said...

Chuckled over the cartoons. Too funny.

Paula said...

I try very hard not to dwell on being old. I'm thankful for the years I have and thankful for the things I still can do. Very good entry as always Jack.

Dar said...

great read of truth from a great guy and his gal, that's the truth. I don't know for sure when it happened but one day I looked in the mirror and saw my Mom and then my Grams. And ya know what?~~~it didn't hurt.
I'm proud of the person my folks taught well. Aging is A-OK. I check each morning to see if I still have a pulse and yessir, I'm still alive to love another day.
Life IS Good

Jackie said...

I think I'm gonna think like Einstein on this one: relative. Everything's relative. Age is simply a number. It's how one feels and how one makes others feel that is important.
Hugs to you, Jack...
J.

Cher' Shots said...

We spent four hours cleaning and re-arranging the catch-all shed today. I feel tired and old, but this too shall pass!
Great post - but then I've come to expect nothing but the best from you.
'love & hugs from afar'

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What counts is today. Tomorrow isn' here yet and yesterday is gone. I try to stay focused on what matters.