Monday, August 12, 2013

Silly Songs

When I was very young there was a song called, ‘The Thing’ by Phil Harris (the *** was the sound of knocking):

While I was walking down the beach one bright and sunny day,
I saw a great big wooden box a-floating in the bay.
I pulled it in and opened it up and much to my surprise,
Ooh, I discovered a * * * right before my eyes.
Ooh, I discovered a * * * right before my eyes.

I picked it up and ran to town as happy as a king.
I took it to a guy I knew who'd buy 'most anything.
But this is what he hollered at me as I walked in his shop:
"Ooh, get out of here with that * * * before I call a cop!
Ooh, get out of here with that * * * before I call a cop!"

------

I remember people trying to figure what the knock knock knock was.

=============================

Then there was Tutti Frutti, Little Richard:

Bop bopa-a-lu a whop bam boo
(repeat 5 times)

A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo

Got a girl named Sue, she knows just what to do!

===============================

Then Jim Ed Brown with:

I was looking back to see if you were looking back to see
If I was looking back to see if you were looking back at me
You were cute as you could be standing looking back at me
And it was plain to see that I'd enjoy your company.

====================================

Willie sang:

"I'm My Own Grandpa"

Now, many many years ago
When I was twenty three
I was married to a widow
Who was pretty as could be
This widow had a grown-up daughter
Had hair of red


My father fell in love with her
And soon the two were wed
This made my dad my son-in-law
And changed my very life
My daughter was my mother
'Cause she was my father's wife


To complicate the matters
Even though it brought me joy
I soon became the father
Of a bouncing baby boy
My little baby then became
A brother-in-law to dad
And so became my uncle


Though it made me very sad
For if he was my uncle
That also made him the brother
Of the widow's grown-up daughter
Who, of course, was my step-mother

I'm my own grandpa
I'm my own grandpa
It sounds funny I know
But it really is so
I'm my own grandpa.

There were so many more, but they were fun at the time.

Can you name one?

Nite Shipslog

PS:

We hang petty thieves and appoint the great thieves to public office.
~Aesop Greek slave & fable author

*************************************************

Today’s car… oh, Sara put some beauties on her Blog:

http://sarasnextchapterinlife.blogspot.com/2013/08/denver-days-car-show.html

Driving thru town this morning I saw a beautiful A model coupe at the Lutheran Church, I thought about going back and join that church. lol

1956 Plymouth Fury

1956 Plymouth Fury!

10 comments:

BlueRidge Boomer said...

Hey!!
Are you love birds ever coming home?
And,,,yes...some butterflies do have a direction....they migrate to Mexico!

Anonymous said...

The Little Blue Man 1958 Betty Johnson http://youtu.be/hAbU6-Yuuy0

Flying Purple People Eater 1958 Sheb Wooley
http://youtu.be/X9H_cI_WCnE

that's a couple I thought of right off the bat :D

TARYTERRE said...

I remember My Own Grandpa. was a catchy tune, indeed.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There sure were a lot of catchy tunes and many of them have survived over the years. I love the old songs best and really don't listen to many of the new ones. Hope you all are enjoying Ohio. It's a little warmer and muggier here today, but the low 70's are coming our way the next couple of days. Strange August weather we've been having. I'm not complaining just saying.

Sara S. said...

Thats a pretty sharp looking Plymouth there! I had to chuckle when you thought about changing your religion because of the Model A in the parking lot!!! Thanks for the link to my blog!

I liked your songs you picked out, I caught myself singing a couple of them as I was reading lol.

As always stay sweet and hugs to you and Sherry!

shirl72 said...

How about "Do Wah Diddy Diddy", and
"A boy name Sue". Most were silly but not as bad as some today. Most singers today scream their words. We call them seven eleven songs 7 verses ll times.

Paula said...

I remember all but The Thing. I'm thinking of Kaliga (sp?) The wooden indian. Playing on the juke box at the Bulldog Snackshack in Somerset, Texas in the good ole' 50's

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee...
«Louis» remembers some of those songs! So much better than (c)rap - the only word in the English language that begins with a silent "C"!

How interesting that you post the photo of that '56 Plymouth Fury - «Louis» was thinking of that very car, in white - this afternoon before he saw your blog! It's like you were reading his mind!

Chatty Crone said...

Well there was country music stars singing on television - I listened for two hours. I never listened until about ten years ago - now I am a big fan. So we both like music! lol
sandie

Jackie said...

You have me humming tunes I hadn't thought of in years!!!