Breaking news eventful day:
That is not an egg! That is what we got today during a tornado warning when we had gone into Shirl's basement. EGG size hail! I have heard of hail that size, just never saw it before. (still wondering about the top of the coach!)
Then Maverick's visit to the motor home.
Matthew, Kiersten and the Maverick.
Photo of the priest praying for the first victims of the Titanic disaster.
Now, home, North CArolina.
I have lived in Gastonia, Shelby, High Shoals, Burlington, Albemarle, Valdese, Charlotte, Mt. Holly and Belmont, North Carolina. Many of my friends have lived in one town and are very happy.
I must admit at times I envy my girl who grew up with the same kids from before first grade until graduating HS. She has emotional ties with the residents here. She has already visited two classmates who are in the hospital, since we have been home. Monday morning we will go to Hardee’s where she will talk to folks she has known all her life. Many times she forgets I do not have that history. She will then call Evelyn, who is still in Florida and tell her the latest on the class of ’56. They can chat for an hour.
She considers it a joy to see Evelyn for a few weeks in the winter when we stay at the same RV Park. I get to talk to Don (Evelyn’s hubby) who graduated Class of 55. Sherry of course knows Don and many of his class mates.
This has been a tough year. They have lost several of their class mates. The graduating classes are shrinking.
Did you stick with the same kids thru school?
North Carolina facts (since we are here)
- 1585 - Sir Walter Raleigh (1554-1618) led expeditions to both North America and South America in order to found new settlements and find gold. Raleigh sends several shiploads of colonists to the east coast of North America
- 1587 - John White ( 1540 - 1606 ) with 150 men, women, and children sent by Sir Walter Raleigh and found the City of Raleigh & establishes a second English colony at Roanoke and becomes Governor
- 1587 - August 18 - Elinor White Dare gave birth to a daughter, Virginia Dare, the first child born of English parents in the New World
- 1587 - August 22 - John White returns to England for more supplies leaving the thriving colony. Seven assistants are left in charge with strict instructions that if the colonists should decide to leave the fort, they would carve their destination on a tree and add a Maltese cross if they had to leave because of attack
- 1590 - August 15 John White arrives back to Roanoke to find that the settlers have all disappeared. The word "CROATOAN" is found carved into a tree without any crosses or signs of distress. The fate of "The Lost Colony" remains a mystery