Friday, April 20, 2018

Overlooking an Elephant


Historical Photo:


 (Famous Alexander Homestead, on Shamrock in Charlotte)
Famous for the 'best weddings'. Now I am wondering if this is where Grandson Josh and Megan were married??

Homefront How do you not SEE the Elephant?.....
Shirl is home. Doing well and wondered what the fuss was all about. The three doctors discussed it and decided it was best to treat the problems with meds.  So she gained 2 or 3 more meds, making it 5 or 6 for a few weeks.
Backing up, about that elephant I did not see! The LITTLE THINGS YOU MISS when you are distracted.
I worked on a lawn mower today and mowed a little to check it out and saw some darkened plastic in the yard. Tough and curved a little. I puzzled over it, then thrw it in the garbage. Later I was inside and  Sherry came out of the shower and asked, “Didn’t you notice the sky light when you showered earlier?”
“No, what about it?”
“The hail must have smashed it!”  I quickly looked, and sure enough we now need a new skylight.
When leaving the motor home we look right down where we park our car. The top is in plain view. Immediately I took a closer look. AWWW! 8 or ten dents from the huge hail.
I haven’t had a chance to check the roofs of our houses. I hope to do that over the weekend. None of that is good. HOWEVER it is nothing that can’t be fixed or just ignored. 
Life is good. Parts are ordered and Shirl will not have surgery. (She is fussing about the blood thinners, and the many checks that must be done to find the right dosage of Coumadin(?).)  (My dad used to say, "Some folk would complain if they were cut with a new knife!")

Things may slow down to good pace in a few days. Thanks for all the concerns, prayers and thoughts. Forgive me if I haven’t commented. I have tried to keep up.  But remember the two “S’s” are getting older and I am just trying to keep up!

Nite Shipslog
PS: I am still wondering how I took a shower and did not see the broken skylight above me???

North Carolina facts (since we are here)
1.   Whitewater Falls in Transylvania County is the highest waterfall in the eastern United States.
2.   Cape Hatteras is the largest lighthouse ever to be moved due to erosion problems.
3.   The University of North Carolina's mascot, the Tarheels, is a nickname for North Carolinians. One story tell it came from the days when NC produced a lot of tar, and someone saw a set of footprints made by someone who had stepped in the tar. (There are several versions of ‘TAR heels’.)
4.   Charles Karault was born and raised in Wilmington.
5.   Havelock is home of Marine Base "Cherry Point." It is the largest air base in Marine Corps.

6 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

Interesting facts about NC.
Glad Shirl is home and on medicine. Remind me to tell you off line about cumadin.
Sure sounds like you had some bad hair - it got the RV and the car?
You sure are keeping busy!
sandie

TARYTERRE said...

it's a wonder you didn't see the damaged skylight. still sending shirl prayers. lets hope that medicine fixes what needs fixing.

betty said...

Glad to hear Shirl is home and surgery has been avoided. Just make sure with the Coumadin she follows the instructions given and gets the blood tests recommended. Hoping there won't be too much damage from the hail on the roofs. I think it was either 2011 or 2010 here that there was a terrible hailstorm (or maybe more than one). Lots of roofs damaged and replaced at the time (or some damaged and the home owners filed claims but then kept the money for other things).

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm so thankful Shirll is doing better and is home... That is such good news! That kind of hail can do a lot of damage. A few years back we had a bad hail storm, the news was full of reports on how busy the insurance companies were with repairs. Maybe some of your damage could be covered by insurance. Hope the damage isn't bad. Well , not any worse than what you've found so far. It's easy to overlook things. We're used to the ways things are and really don't always take the time to notice. Good thing your gal is good at keeping you on track.

Mevely317 said...

Hooray for Shirl's bounce-back! Betty's already voiced my initial concerns about the Coumadin, but I don't feel it's particularly dangerous when closely monitored.

I LOVE your attitude about the hail damage. "Nothing that can't be fixed or ignored" ... made me laugh out loud. This is why y'all are doing so good and folks half your age are suffering stress ulcers and cardiac incidents.

Love ya!

Glenda said...

Good news concerning Shirl, hospital stays are no fun. She'll adapt to the new meds more easily in her familiar surroundings and without having noise and interruptions!
Interesting post as ever, never heard the Tarheels story! Hope y'all are having a good weekend and get some rest.