Sunday, September 8, 2024

Past and present


Pic of the day;

 

Many Years Ago in Key West Florida, Hook a Book week I think..

 For today…

For many years Sherry and I entertained kids and church groups.  I always felt good using ‘magic’, puppets, and chalk drawings. We did youth camps in North Carolina, NY, and Canada.

My favorite was Vacation Bible Schools.  It was rewarding to meet middle aged men and women who remembered us. I once wrote a small booklet called ‘Don’t Twist…. The truth’,  that was during a time the Twist dance was big. A few years ago a young lady came up to me and asked if I still had a copy, I told her no, I wish I had.  She gave me one she has saved for over 20 years. Sure made me smile.

This was brought up by our ‘Seniors Director’ at church.  She asked me to do a program when I was in the area.  So Tuesday it is. No problem I thought.

My materials are Packed in the basement. I have two huge equipment cases.  I went down earlier, I cannot even lift them now, OUCH!

I had created a monster. Lighting, switches, remote relays, two professional easels, and a ton of paper and chalk.  I designed this mess, I looked down at it and thought, I can’t even set it up and I used to do it every night for weeks.  LOL

I won’t use the lighting, black light and fluorescent chalk. I located my old wooden easel, it is light.  I will pre draw most of the picture I am going to use that will save carrying a few things.  Sherry won’t have to worry about handling lighting, so she can relax.

I am going to do a story surrounding the poem “The House by the side of the Road” by Sam Walter Foss, it is a standby of mine and seniors always like it.  Honestly, I enjoy it myself.

I must use my troubling shoulder and arm, but having less to move around, all should go well. It has been many years since I stood before an audience. Prayers and good thoughts will help.  

Nite Shipslog

PS 

LOL  Thanks for all the comments, love you guys.

 

 

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh this is going to fun for everyone. I know you will enjoy it. Get ya something too pull your stuff around. This might be the starting of something again.

Nite
Lisa

Mevely317 said...

What a great idea! I love this picture.
Do you suppose someone from the church would video-tape your 'gig' on their cell phone and share it with us?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We used to have a chalk drawer come to entertain our youth group. I got to keep one of them but now it has gone, because I moved a couple of times since then. But it was amazing to watch it come alive. Sounds like you've got a good handle on things and will be able to entertain your guests. Sometimes we just have to make do with what we have.

salemslot9 said...

Good luck Jack!
(don't hurt yourself)

Chatty Crone said...

Good luck to you - let us know how it goes!

HappyK said...

I'm sure you will do a great job. We have a chalk drawer come to our church every year during revivals.