Monday, September 23, 2024

Sherry and I

 Pic of the day;

 

This was our wedding crowd. We were crowded into the office of Justice of the Peace, E. Gettys Nunn in York, South Carolina.  No announcement, just went to his office at home at about 7:30 PM. Cost $20  (Best deal I ever made and I was 17 yrs old.!!!)

 For today:

We sit here in the RV and have talked so much about the past. Our life has been different than others, but the same,,,,, if that makes any sense.  We ALL have had ups and downs. Everyone (normal folks anyway) miss many who have ‘passed the veil’ as my mama would say.  In our case many have gone on. Sherry and I are the last of our families.  I told my girl I was so glad she has placed pictures of our parents above the door here in the RV. 



I stop and think of them often, as I start out the door. We both had good families. My parents came from a peanut farm in North Georgia and Hers from Down east in tobacco country and central NC in the Cotton Textile area.

We were both taught to be conservative and to always save something for a ‘rainy day’. That sounds strange now when I write it, but we both knew that meant ‘have something back for hard times.’  They didn’t talk about it much, but our parents lived thru the depression raising children.  Sherry and I both came along a few years after that terrible time.

Many folks think we are rich, we have traveled a lot. What some folks do not understand is we first traveled sleeping in the car, then tents, then travel trailers and finally now we travel in comfort in a 36’ RV. He have had larger ones, but they were always bought used, reasonable and suited us.

If I had to guess I would say we have spent less than $5000 total on hotels/motels in our 68 years of traveling. That includes Hawaii, Alaska, Europe and Alaska. Where there is a will there is a way, they say.  LOL

WE once crossed the USA in a popup camper with Sonny & Collette, camp sites at $5 and Motel 6 was $6 a night. Folks now do not know where the name ‘Motel 6’ came from. ;-)




Right now we are parked beside a river, about 15 feet away. Probably the closest to a river we have ever stayed. We are in Lancaster, PA to visit friends and see the play ‘Daniel’.



 I did not check the price of tickets before we came. OUCH, I was shocked at $75 each, I am a cheapskate, you know. Most likely this will be our last one anyway. We all know in reality the price of most things goes up.

Yep, I remember paying a nickel for a Pepsi and a nickel for a Snicker Bar.  LOL

Thanks for reading.

Nite Shipslog

PS 

LOL  Thanks for all the comments, They are always good to read, you guys enhance our lives.

BTW Sherry says, we are RICH, in love and memories...

2 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I really loved this post. Seeing your wedding pictures and hearing your story. You have had 'a wonderful life'.

Mevely317 said...

What a good looking crowd. (lol) I just know your parents are "up there" bustin' their buttons with pride.