Saturday, October 13, 2012

Mail on the road (repeat info)

Many folks wonder how we get our mail. I have mentioned it before, and I will again now. Since becoming Florida residents, we have maintained a mail box at a mail service. When we are in the area it works just like the USPS. We have a box and a key.

But on the road, of course it is a different situation. Sherry will call the service and they will send what mail we have to a post office near by. At present, we are in Belmont. Shirl allows us to have mail sent there if needed, or we can have it sent to Mark’s house, his mail box is nearest. Once we call the mail get ‘s to us in 2-3 days.

On the road, Sherry will have the mail sent General Delivery to a nearby Post office. There are problems with that, since every Post Office does not accept General Delivery mail.

We prefer the small town Post offices. Once in Alaska the Post Office was in a ladies living room. It is also another chance to meet folks you would never have the chance of seeing otherwise.

Another thing we must be careful of, is stopping to eat. Yeah, we have gotten lazy, with our kitchen with us we still enjoy eating out during travel time. You cannot pull 60 feet of combined vehicle length in just anywhere. So my navigator has a book called ‘Next Exit’ it lists all Interstate exits and the services at each. It has a handy feature, if the place has parking or area for trucks and motor homes, it is printed in red.

We are usually limited to Truck stops and Cracker Barrel restaurants.

I have become addicted to Cappuccino, the kind from a machine at truck stops. While I am filling up (and finding someone to borrow money from to pay for the diesel, lol) Sherry will get me a cappuccino and her a cup of coffee. She is worried about her weight.LOL  Of course if I don’t find someone to pay for the diesel I put it on the ‘card’ and hope they lose the receipt (HA, fat chance!)

We will be here a few more weeks, before we hit the road again. I am getting anxious.

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Everyone must be somewhere, I guess this is as good a place as any!

**************************************************

Scanoldphoto3 007

This is Mark’s 68 Chevy. It was our family car, We bought it used, the only car I ever got car fever over. We paid cash for it, it was blue. There was a little history to it. When we went to Cuba we gave it to my dad & mom. While in Cuba dad died. When we came home, since mom did not drive she gave it back. When Mark reached 16, I painted it black and put the flames on it for Mark’s first car.

8 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It would be great to be heading to a place that will be warmer. Here it was 31 degrees when I woke up. The sun is out though and they say it'll warm up in the mid to upper 60's today. This is the first really hard freeze we've had so many blooms are now done for. I'm hoping the frost didn't get them all as we are in town and more sheltered than out in the country. Hope you all have a super Saturday!

Lucy said...

We are having warm sort of humid weather. We had a hard freeze last week and now the forcast is for 80's Monday. Got a shower this morning.

Sheila Y said...

I know you hate having to leave this nice cool weather. I'm just hoping we get snow like in winter 2010-11. You'll be here through Halloween, are you and Sherry going to the haunted houses? You'll be able to hold her close to protect her...:-) love from up here, Sheila

Paula said...

I would have to get used to not getting my mail every day. Mail call is the high light of my day. Seems I don't get near as much mail as I used to though. E-mail?

betty said...

Those cappucinos can be quite good! I've had to stop stopping into stores that sell them to watch my weight! Enjoy them though! I'm sure you both are anxious "to get out of Dodge" and enjoy some warmer southern weather!

betty

Anonymous said...

Always a safe road ahead.

Haven't had snail mail in ages. Dinner was fine, two beer and a few pieces of bread ...

Please have you all a good Sunday.

Rose said...

Hmmmmmmmmm, never thought about that.....where you get your mail?

I suppose that brings up another question, what state to you Vote in???? I'm sure you must use an Absentee ballot????

Hugs to my favorite couple!

Chatty Crone said...

I am trying to think about if you get b ills that have to be paid in time - but I bet you don't.