Thursday, September 19, 2013

Have you ever had a cedar topped?

We have a row of cedars or Leland Cypress along the edge of our yard. We love the privacy they give, but they are now about 25-30 feet high. I was talking to friend Don and he drove me down to a house where they cut them down to about 6 feet and they look like a hedge.

I was under the impression they would die if you topped them. I don’t have any pictures yet but I started on one, got about half way and saw I was going to have more limbs to get rid of than I had thought.  So now we have called a couple tree men to get prices.  One was supposed to come today but he didn’t make it for some reason.

So friend Bobby across the street  gave me the name of a man who had done his. Sherry called him. He is coming by in the morning. (fingers crossed).

I will get some pictures for another  entry.

Thanks for coming by the log.

BTW if you have any ideas, feel free to let us know.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Sherry had her Physical today, I drove her down and sat around waiting.  That is always a little dangerous, because someone might just want to talk. Most of the time I think, it will be just one or two comments and I don’t mention I cannot hear. Then I get in trouble……

##################################

i donot know2 woodieI donot know woodie

TWo I don’t know what make ‘Woodies’.  but I am going to guess, the top one could be English the lower one French.  Just a guess….  But I like them both.

13 comments:

shirl72 said...

Hope Sherry will get a good report
from her physical. Will be waiting
to see how the trees look after
being cut back. You are right it a
job when you start cutting back trees. Good you want have to clean
up the mess..and they can take it away.

Paula said...

Good luck to Sherry. John has a stress test tomorrow morning and I have a test on my thyroid tomorrow afternoon. Good luck with the trees too. They charge an arm and a leg around here to trim trees.

betty said...

Not sure about the cedars; hope you find someone that can help sort it out. While waiting at the doctor, you can engross yourself in a good book or magazine, or if someone starts to talk you can say "no habla English,"

hope Sherry gets good news on her physical

betty

Anonymous said...

If they are Leylands, topping or shearing them will not kill them; however, I did read on one forum that cutting them might open them up to a canker that Leylands are susceptible to.
I have a variegated Leyland that I rooted from a cutting. After it grew large, I cut the top out for a Christmas tree. It was a wild thing, let me tell you!
Good luck with it.

bonnie k.

Jackie said...

I do hope that Sherry gets a good report from her physical. Tell her that I am thinking about her.
We had Leland Cypresses at the lake lot. They are wonderful barriers (sound and sight)...but our problem here is the disease(s) that they susceptible to. I look forward to finding out if topping them to a hedge height will work.
You know I'll be back. (Like an bad penny, I am....)
Hugs and smiles,
J.

TARYTERRE said...

Sounds like a chore, indeed. Good to let a professional do it.

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee...
«Louis», who is (ahem) chrome of dome, feels like HIS cedar was topped...

The first "woodie" is an Austin A70 Hampshire Shooting Brake. The British used the term "shooting brake" for vehicles that were originally built to take shooting parties to the fields on the Estates. The "brake" part of the name derives from a type of wagon that had been used to "brake" horses from running too fast.

You've got ol' «Louis» stumped on the green one, but he thinks it is British rather than French. The "shooting brake" body style was more typically British and never really caught on in France. «Louis» can tell you that it is not a Renault, Peugeot or Citroën if it is French. He remembers seeing that grille style, but can't name it. Sorry....

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Sounds like it will be nice if you can find someone to cut the trees for you. Hope all went well with Sherry's check up! It's warmer here today but by the weekend we'll be back in the 60's they say. Typical fall weather for us. Hope you all have a fantastic Friday!

Chatty Crone said...

I know Sherry came thru her physical with flying colors and gee I hope no one talked to you!!!!!!!! lol

I never have had a cedar car!

Hope you get your trees down soon!

sandie

JeanJournal said...

Sherry and you have such an interesting life of traveling around all over the place and are so happy and LOVE LIFE AND PEOPLE YOU MEET ~ Thanks for sharing ~ with WE HOME BODIES ~ KEEP ON BEING HAPPY ~ and such a SPECIAL COUPLE!!~~Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun

JeanJournal said...

Sherry and you have such an interesting life of traveling around all over the place and are so happy and LOVE LIFE AND PEOPLE YOU MEET ~ Thanks for sharing ~ with WE HOME BODIES ~ KEEP ON BEING HAPPY ~ and such a SPECIAL COUPLE!!~~Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun

JeanJournal said...

Sherry and you have such an interesting life of traveling around all over the place and are so happy and LOVE LIFE AND PEOPLE YOU MEET ~ Thanks for sharing ~ with WE HOME BODIES ~ KEEP ON BEING HAPPY ~ and such a SPECIAL COUPLE!!~~Jean(Rome Ga girl living in Calhoun

Woody said...

Nice Woodie's, went to bone cruncher this morning had had some bones pushed and shoved back into place, we have a lot of cedar up here, I have seen big trees turned into fences 6 to 8 feet tall.
take care,
Gary & Anna Mae