Sunday, September 29, 2013

Surprise

Today a car drove by our place very slow. We are on a dead end street and a few minutes later it came back up and pulled over in our drive.

I walked over to the car and the gentleman said, “ Do you know the Hinson's that used to live here?”

I said I know they lived here but I did not know them personally. they wanted to know if either of them were still alive.  I am straining to understand them.The man told me his name but I could not understand him, he said the lady with him was his sister. I told him I was Jack Darnell. He said, “Did your dad pastor here in town.” I said yes. He also wanted to know who I married.

I told him Sherry Harris. The lady said, “We used to play together as kids on the Imperial (Mill Village).”

The man then said, “I am Jim Franklin, My dad was Joe.”

All of a sudden the light came on. JOE FRANKLIN dad’s best friend in the 1930’s. “Hey you must be Bobby’s brother.”

Sherry came out and they all had a great time remembering old times.  Jim lives in Napa Valley, California and had flown out to be with the family after Pansy’s death.  More lights finally came on and I realized he had been telling me this all the time but I was not understanding him.

Now, we have a date to go to dinner with him and the Franklin Family next Monday night.  Jim is such a pleasant fellow. He is talking about writing  a book of his experiences working with the mentally challenged (or handicapped) folks, it seemed like he said in many countries.  I will find out more. I gave them my last book, and he was very interested in the mechanics of the publishing.

That brightened up the day. I love to meet folks I should know but don’t.  LOL

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Life is fun most of the time, and today was SWEET!

*************************************************

1939 Lasalle Convertible Coupe

1939 LaSalle convertible, It is as old as I.

9 comments:

Jackie said...

And I love to read about your meeting up with folks you should know..and really do know...and then you tell us about meeting them again...and....well, you know! How fun it was to read this blog!!
I would love to be a fly on the wall when you all go out to eat. Wonderful conversations, I'm sure.
Lovely blog post...as always, my friend.
Warm smiles,
Jackie

betty said...

That was neat to make this connection again from friends from long ago. Sad that Pansy's death brought them to your area, but glad you are going to be able to spend some time with them and share your experiences with getting a book published Jack.

betty

Chatty Crone said...

Gosh looking for one person and finding you and then knowing who you are - I think that is really awesome.

Mevely317 said...

My gosh, but that's a great happenstance! Who'd have guessed a random car, on a random day ....

Can't wait to hear how your dinner date evolves, Jack!

Hugs,
Myra

Amelia said...

It's cool to run into people from our past if they bring back good memories.

TARYTERRE said...

How exciting was that to accidently run into someone you're connected with.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Surprises like that one are wonderful. It is a small world sometimes.

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee...
You and the LaSalle are the same age?
39, right, Jack!
:-)

shirl72 said...

I bet you were surprised when you
heard the name Franklin. I heard Dad mention that name lots. Dad and Joe were best friends. That is wonderful
to see some of the Franklin's, Life
is good.