Friday, December 8, 2023

The Apologist

  Photo of the day: I SEARCHED FOR the Apologist car and got this:

 


 Not sure what that means???

So for today:  I am saying I am sorry for this entry in advance, I'M SORRY!


Antonym = Critic

Today I feel it necessary to defend the person who is NEVER wrong.  You know him or her, they are a lot like me, a ‘Know it All’ (but I know it!).  They (we) are people who do not KNOW they should apologize for something.  If asked for an apology they may start, “I’m sorry……BUT if you had not done so and so I would not have been forced to act that way!”  The apology somehow turns into the ‘asking person’s’ fault.

 

That sounds a lot like a ‘Man’s apology to his sweet wife!’

BUT,  back to the beginning, I had a misunderstanding of the word ‘Apologist’, I am not sure, but I cannot EVER remember hearing that word growing up, even in school. I have learned that the word is very old, back to the 17th century. If you have the nerve read the PS, I think I get the gist of what it means, but it is NOT what I though an Apologist is.

Now what I wanted to say is that some folks who do not know how to apologize CANNOT HELP IT! It is a mind situation that says, I can’t be wrong, it is their fault, but to make them feel better I will apologize, Thus the NON-Apololgy received is NOT and apology, but maybe their ‘excuse’ for being forced to act in a nasty way.  BUT down inside they WERE NOT WRONG,  it is a shame but methinks it is true.

It is like I read from a psychiatrist somewhere: The WORST thing you can do in a relationship is tell a ‘narcissist’ he/she is a Narcissist!

I had a cousin once, a very intelligent man, A grad of a well known college. He failed in business a couple times, BUT it was NEVER his fault. My sister in an e-mail once was describing him, He knows it all and is better than anyone at anything, etc. She sent the message to him by mistake.  When he LET ME AND SHIRLEY know he had read it, I simply told he, “Now, Ken, you know she is right, your ego is bigger than Atlanta.”

 

Anyway when I read a person’s ‘forced’ apology for making a BIG blunder, most times I feel like, “Yes Sir, you are sorry!!! SORRY YOU GOT CAUGHT!”  Yeah I know I am too hard on ‘em guys, I’m Sorry! (not).

 

So I guess an ‘Apologist’ is apologizing (EXPLAINING) for someone else's belief?

Nite Shipslog

PS: Today’s apologists: 

                                                            Bishop Robert Barron

    ````````````

William Lane Craig and Ravi Zacharias

Apologist, any of the Christian writers, primarily in the 2nd century, who attempted to provide a defense of Christianity and criticisms of paganism and other aspects of Greco-Roman culture. Many of their writings were addressed to Roman emperors, and it is probable that the writings were actually sent to government secretaries who were empowered to accept or reject them. Under these circumstances, some of the apologies assumed the form of briefs written to defend Christians against the accusations current in the 2nd century, especially the charges that their religion was novel or godless or that they engaged in immoral cultic practices.

5 comments:

Mevely317 said...

Well, I've never heard the term, Apologist -- but after reading your narrative I'm pretty sure I've known a few. Narcissist, yep. Toxic? That, too.

At my last workplace, I was endlessly amused/annoyed by the friction between a couple managers. Never to each others faces, both would refer to the other as a narcissist. And they were both right, lol!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Sorry, but that car (truck) is ugly! (an apology??) I've certainly known people who think they are never wrong (haven't we all?) and blame everyone else for all their problems. Seems more common in kids. A sad situation, because they don't have the maturity to learn from their mistakes.

Anonymous said...

I have had to apologized even though it was not my fault. It's unpleasant, humbling and relieving all at the same time.

Still here in gtown
Lisa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Apologies seem hard to make but it's usually the best thing you can do. Admit you've been wrong and try to do better. I make mistakes all the time and figure that no one is perfect, we are all only human. My typing skills aren't what they used to be and I make typo errors all the time. Sorry I'm only human. I try to proof read what I put out there, but even sometimes that doesn't help.

Susie said...

Jack, I have said I am sorry many times to just clear the air or sweep an unimportant thing away. Some people will argue till the cows come home rather than ever say they are sorry. Just this past month I told a relative to say she was sorry to her daughter. (both have strong opinions) But this relative was in a sad state fretting. I said, "you raised your children, they are grown. Now let them live like they want if it isn't a dangerous choice. Say you are sorry and let your child decide if this snit is to continue." So far her child says it's a fake apology. So I told the relative to just step back and let time do some healing. Praying. I loved everyone's comments here. :) Blessing, xoxo, Susie