Friday, December 24, 2010

Did you know that Fred Foy died?

 

Funny thing I used to hear him Monday, Wednesday and Friday at five o'clock. Rushing into the house from playing late, from going with Tuck on his paper route, or from selling Grit newspapers, I would dive onto the floor and turn on my radio. It seemed to take forever for the tubes to heat up, then the William Tell Overture would blast out, a solid strong voice that just fit the occasion would come in, “In the early days of the western United States, a masked man and an Indian rode the plains, searching for truth and justice. Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear, when from out of the past come the thundering hoofbeats of the great horse, Silver. The Lone Ranger rides again!"

lr_silv8

My only daytime radio program, but it was the best. I loved it when the Lone Ranger disguised himself in the episodes. I knew the actor, Brace Beamer, played the part of the Lone Ranger on the Radio, but I never knew the name of the man behind the opening line that I knew by heart and said them along with the announcer every time I listened.

It is amazing the things that have brought joy to our lives and in a case like this, I never knew who he was, just that his voice thrilled me.

Yeah Merita Bread sponsored the program in NC, I always thought it was nationwide but I don’t know that. I know I wanted my sandwiches made with Merita. Ha! When TV became the thing I was 12yrs old and didn’t get to watch it much. To me it was never as good as the Radio, but of course it was.

Learning things like this is just a reminder that things can still surprise you. There was a sad note, on the way home from Sherry’s Mom’s funeral, we heard on the radio that Brace Beamer had died also, that was March 1, 1965.

We wish to Fred Foy, fair winds and following seas after bringing so much joy to so many youngsters like myself.

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

Brown's Law of Physical Appearance - If the clothes fit, they're ugly.

8 comments:

~mel said...

That's what it's all about my friend ~ the little things in life that bring us joy and always being open to learn something new. Merry Christmas!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I don't remember the Long Ranger on the radio but I do remember him on TV. Many years of pleasure were had for sure. Hope your Christmas Eve is a happy one!

Jimmy's Journal said...

Once again, it seems we came from the same pea pod. My favorite show was "The Lone Ranger" (although in those days I thought it was The "Long" Ranger) and I never missed a show.

I didn't know the "voice" was Fred Foy but it was an amazing and captivating voice. Rest in Peace, Mr. Foy.

Oddly enough, in my early twenties, I worked for American Bakeries, who produced Merita Bread and Wonder Bread.

Merry Christmas Sherry and Jack !

Jimmy

Paula said...

I had never heard of Merita bread but have heard of Wonder bread that Jimmy mentioned. I was more the Dale Evans type.

Jean said...

Merry Christmas!!

Rose said...

I loved the Lone Ranger on TV. I don't remember it on the radio. I remember Wonder Bread but not Merita Bread. Do they still make Merita Bread?

Sweet memories! And, let's not forget Tonto! LOL

Merry Christmas to my favorite couple!

Hugs, Rose

Fred Alton said...

I could never forget that voice and those words of introduction...then the thundering hooves of that great horse Sil-ver! What fun and innocent times they recall. I remember looking forward to getting each new box of Nabisco Shredded Wheat because there were cards in the boxes with outdoor survival skills written on them by Tonto! Never forget kemo sabe!

B. Knox said...

My son and I watched the TV shows recently when one of the stations was showing retro shows. I enjoyed them.
My husband said he always had a disagreement with his brother who was five years older than he was. My husband said he always wanted to hear Br'er Rabbit on the radio when he got home from school, but his brother always wanted to listen to The Lone Ranger.