Friday, December 31, 2010

Never trade Luck for Skill

 

In my life there have been times that I thought I was good at something. One night I bowled a 290 with a ball that I had paid fifty cents for at a yard sale. If you do not know, that is a near perfect game. Man I thought I was good! The next night on a league night, I bowled a 70 with the same ball. I gave it to the kids to play in the yard with.. That is called LUCK.

bowling_clip_art3

Once in a game of pool, I made some super extraordinary fantastic shots, won every game and thought I was good. I Never beat those guys again. That was LUCK.

laurelandhardy350

I decided once to make some soup. I searched ‘Tomato soup’ on this computer and I got back a recipe for ‘the world’s best tomato soup’. I didn’t have all the ingredients, so I substituted something’s logical (to me). The soup was a tremendous success. Sherry said it was the best soup she ever tasted. Shirl even sampled it and said it was great. I did not print out the recipe, I did not remember what I substituted, I tried again, and the soup was ‘good’ but not excellent. LUCK.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sometimes in life we start to base our lives on LUCK instead of skill and we may lose a little. So I try to learn from my mistakes as humans should.

I KNOW I am a fair bowler, not good enough to consider skilled.

I KNOW I cannot shot pool with a pool player, I am not even considered good.

I now KNOW why a person should have a recipe, if they are not SKILLED as a Chef.

The long used statement is very true, you can fool some of the people all of the time, you can fool all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. (did I get that right?) I have found this to be a shameful fact: SOME PEOPLE FOOL THEM SELVES ALL THE TIME!

Now, I don’t even know what this post is about except I made soup last night and it was pretty good, but not GREAT! (but the whole pot was less than 200 calories.)

Nite Shipslog

PS:

dpan3231l

Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

fatman

7 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What some call luck, I tend to call blessings. If I happen to have something turn out extraordinary, I know that it has to have been sent my way and not of my own doing. Thankfully my life has been full of blessings and although I've never made the perfect soup or bowled a perfect game I'm sure thankful for it. Now I'm wondering what kind of soup you made with so few calories and it was still pretty good. Happy New Years Eve!

BlueRidge Boomer said...

65* on my mountain today...!!!
Happy New Year to your crew from my crew...
Enjoy....LindaMay, CityBoy, MaleChild, Max, Mia and Misskitty....

shirl72 said...

Well my Luck is in the Kitchen. I have been
in there all morning cutting collards and cooking
them adding this and that and burning a candle to keep the smell down. They look pretty
good. I don't know why I think I am Julia Childs
or Paula Dean. I have Black-eye-peas to cook
and Baby Back Ribs. That will be another 5 hours.
What Luck. Dinner should be ready by tomorrow
if I get it together if my luck holds.

Shirl

Anonymous said...

An entry that surely left much impresssion, glad to be read at ten past four in the morning.

Please have you all a wonderful only happiness filled new year.

Dar said...

As luck would have it, I now have a working phone again. As luck would have it, my computer is in working order, and as luck would have it, Bill and my brother Eric ate very well tonight. Oops, That, my friend, was for sure Luck, as I did not use a recipe for the meatloaf and it still 'ate' well. I can honestly say that about the only thing in this human world I feel 'skilled' at, is being a Mom and Grandma. It gives me great joy and I usually get things right, or is that just known as Trial by Error. Perhaps., or 16 yrs. grandparenting, 40 yrs. parenting and 10 yrs. sibling and babysitting prior to that. Man, no wonder I'm all worn out. Skill is earned to survive all that.
Love this entry...you sure make a person think.
BlessYourHearts and HappyNewYear

Paula said...

Happy New Year Jack and Sherry.

Fred Alton said...

Happy New Year's wishes to you and Sherry! Loved this thought-provoking entry. At the moment I can't think of any special skill that I have. My confidence has always been in what the Lord could do with the little efforts I make. Oh...well, my humility? Is that a skill? I won a ribbon for that, but then they canceled my honor when I started wearing the ribbon in public! ☻

I did finally learn to make fudge quickly and efficiently. Made a plate full yesterday in 5 minutes - clean up is a snap. (Micro-waved it) That's not like it was in the '50s when we had to stir that mixture for 45 minutes and then had to scrape that burned chocolate out of the pot with wire scrubbers and brillo pads!!!