Friday, December 17, 2010

Fires

 

Nothing is more destructive than fire in my opinion. If you have experienced one you know! There was a fire in the duplex we lived in Key West, it spread from the neighbor’s side. The only thing lost was my tools and fishing stuff. But they were destroyed.

fire2tragedy-9-11-twin-tower

When aboard the USS Independence we had a huge fire. I had the watch and it was hard to see and breathe in the smoke as I sounded the alarm. That was a bad fire but nothing like the one on the USS Forrestal that destroyed a good part of the ship.

USS_Independence_0132

(Now isn’t that sea beautiful?)

Water itself is also destructive and strong. We have areas in the NC Mts. That it is very dangerous sometimes in the spring for flooding. In the desert southwest we saw bridges with no water. I heard a statement once, “You may be from Arizona if you do not associate bridges with water.”

flashflood1

(Flash Flood damage)

But Native folks will tell you and signs will too, “DO NOT PARK HERE FLASH FLOOD DANGER”, when it looks like you are 100 miles from nowhere and it is dry as a chip. I tell Sherry I don’t believe it, but to be on the safe side we won’t park there. HA HA!

004

(Home away from home!)

009

(We camped within 15’ of this beautiful fall)

In contrast when under control and in the right circumstances open fire and water can be the most beautiful and relaxing phenomena’s. We love a campfire by a beautiful stream. There is something mesmerizing about both wonders. After I was six years old we never had a fire place. But My Great Grandpa did. I loved sitting on the floor around the fireplace, while we roasted peanuts and the old folk told stories. I would gaze for hours at the coals and logs as they made different designs then morphed into something else. I learned later that stoves were much more efficient for heat.

964408_FXM

(I searched hundreds of pictures an could not find a fireplace like Grandpa’s this is a little too modern for his)

I have probably burned three or four cords of wood lately while working on Mark’s storage areas down in the woods. Yesterday I actually moved my HOT fire in a wheel barrow. I lined the bottom with bricks shoveled a pile of hot coals and two big logs in and hauled them closer home. Now we have a fire near the house. That is a first for me. Moving a live fire.

A day later and we sat out by that fire tonight.

Thanks for coming by the log.

Nite Shipslog

PS: (for Fred the only pilot who reads, I think)

'When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane, you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash.'
 -Multi-Engine Training Manual-

9 comments:

Fred Alton said...

Ha! Tha's jus what to do. When the engine fails, go immediately to the crash site and look for survivors!

With your story about moving the fire, You had me remembering a visit to Kisii district in Kenya. We were outside one evening, sitting around a camp-fire, playing guitar, singing and testifying (informally) when the rain begain to fall. The national pastor proceeded to pick up the burning logs and place them in a "debe" (a round metal pan about 3 to 4 feet in diameter, normally used for mixing mortar) which he and a couple others carried into his living room. Placing it in the middle of the mud floor, we continued. It wasn't long until I could not sing or talk because of the smoke. They would not open a window because it was raining! Gordon (my companion on that trip; my friend that you met at the cabin) turned to me and said, "One thing about it, we won't have to contend with any mosquitoes tonight when we sleep on this floor!"

Dar said...

There truly is nothing like the sound of water while sitting around the fire. We do it often at the cabin and miss it when we are not there. As for Moving a Fire?~the only time I can remember doing for safety reasons, was moving a huge coal-ladened log from the woodstove in the basement, up the stairs and out the door, to prevent the chimney fire from taking a harder hold...scary but stupid. I like your way, much better. The kids move coals to their own stone firepits while we sit around the fire, with some assistance. Gotta teachum young, how to survive. So, now, how do we put out emotional fire?
Sorry I haven't commented lately, but I am reading. Loved the Christmons and your son's weeny roasting stick...
BlessYourHearts

~mel said...

I would think being on a ship that's on fire could be a bit nerve racking!!

Stop over at my blog ... I have a Christmas surprise for you.

LOVE YOU ~ and you're such cute dancers!!

betty said...

that must have been an experience to move that live fire; since you "lived" to write this entry, I'm sure it all worked out, but do be careful out there!

betty

Sheila Y said...

You haven't been helping me and Shirl with the snow dancing. Then I go over to Mel's blog and there you and Sherry are dancing up a storm..tsk tsk tsk... ;) Sheila

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I agree about the water and the fire. Sitting in front of a warm fire is one of my favorite things. I'd never heard of a fire in a wheelbarrow before though. Glad you could keep warm! Take care!

Helen said...

I know it was scary being aboard that ship.
I used to love the old fireplace at my grandparents when I was a child.Hawling fire in a wheelbarrow sounds like fun LOL.
Thanks for leaving a comforting comment on my blog.
Helen

Lucy said...

We never had a fireplace. We had a pot bellied stove. We have had a few fires here in Lincoln but we had one downtown that was terrible. It threatened 2 adjoining buisnesses and the buildings are 100 years old.

Paula said...

Now if anyone would move a fire it would be Jack. I don't think I would have even thought of doing that. Yes fires can be so bad. Last week the brother and his dog of someone at church lost their lives in a house fire.