Saturday, August 25, 2012

Appalachian Trail, a plus

It is nice if one decides to hike the trail and spend 6-8 month of their life in the woods, to know they are also gonna see or be close to some interesting things.

The head water spring of the Chattahoochee River, is a water source for hikers. I actually stopped the whole river with my hands for about 30 seconds. (These headwaters meant a lot to me because that is one of the poems Mrs. Grill required me read and learn in the 7th grade was Sidney Lanier’s ‘The Song of the Chattahoochee’:

Out of the hills of Habersham and thru the Valleys of Hall,

She hurries amain to reach the plain, runs the rapids and leaps the falls. …. etc.)

You cross Blood Mountain and just after that the trail actually goes thru a business breezeway. (Now, appropriately an outfitter)  Also good folk.

You walk right across Fontana Dam, the trail goes thru the Smokies (over Rocky Top)  80 miles I think. Over Clingmon’s dome and thru New Found Gap.

In Virginia the trail goes down thru Damascus. Known as the Trail’s friendliest town. Every year they host Trail Days, a festival.

The trail goes the full length of the Shenandoah's, overlooking the beautiful Valley of the same name.

You go close to Camp David, walk beside the fence that houses the sick and recovering animals from the Washington Zoo. It is strange walking in the Appalachian Mountains, in the middle of the woods, to see a Giraffe, Hippo and a Rhino.

Near Camp David you pass an FBI k-9 training camp.(All this in the woods mind you).

You cross the Originally marked Mason Dixon line. Oh yeah, you go thru Harper’s Ferry and get a chance to learn some interesting American History.

In Pennsylvania you  walk by an old abandoned Coal mine and see how rough the miners had it just getting the coal down to the road. You also get to see an Iron furnace.

You  go by a country Club on Bear MT. NY (I remember this place very well, Sherry was cold and wanted a hot cup of coffee. We went in, the bar tender with his nose up in the air, sold us an 8oz Styrofoam  cup of coffee for $5.) Yeah, true.

But the trail continues thru a neat outside zoo-museum. Then via bridge, across the Hudson River. Just after crossing the Hudson in a couple miles the trail goes thru a Catholic Monastery. There is/was a hostel here and the monks will feed the hiker.

My greatest education on the trail was learning that NY has some of the best bakeries in the world. Those folk can bake some bread and pastries.

Enough, thanks for coming this way. I hope you are gaining some insight of the Appalachian trail.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

If you want your dreams to come true, you mustn't oversleep.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

51hudsonhornet

Another Hudson Hornet, 1951

11 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

The Chattahoochee River runs down here too. And I have heard there are some really good no great bakeries in New York - we have NOTHING down here. lol
sandie

TARYTERRE said...

My mom and dad spend alot of time up in Thurmont, Md, near Camp David. They love eating at The Cozy Inn. NEVER heard about the animals from the Zoo being there. Very interesting indeed. Hiking gives you an education for sure. ENJOYED hearing you talk about it. take care.

Woody said...

New Yorkers were born to eat !!!
Sounds like things are going OK with you 2. Been hot here, 92 today and hot again tomorrow.
well, take care:
Gary & Anna Mae

Paula said...

Thanks for the tour. You do see some interesting things.

shirl72 said...

Jack I wish Mrs. Grill was still
alive and could know what an impact she had on a child at an early life. I think I will try
to see if she had any children.
I know they would love to hear
about one of her students having
to read and remember two poem she had them to read in her class and still refers to them.

Shirl
.

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee....
You are on a roll with the Hudsons! «Louis» will be posting photos he took of a Hudson Italia at Monterey soon...very rare - only 25 of them built.

Jimmy's Journal said...

Mrs. Grill would be proud! We have a place in Florida called Chattahoochee as well, but it is an Insane Asylum.

Methinks I'll see the latter before the former.

Jimmy

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love all the info on the AT. I really never knew a whole lot about it before. Hope you all have a great Sunday!

Lucy said...

I really took a trip with you and Sherry in this entry. Sounds really great. So many interesting places.

Fred Alton said...

Jack, I know I posted twice on this blog but the posts seem to have disappeared into the ether waves.

I can hardly wait for this hike...altho...I have hiked the entire WIDTH of the Appalachian Trail.

☻☻☻

Anonymous said...

wow I'm enjoying your description of the AT!