Monday, August 6, 2012

REPEAT Skip if you had pictures…..Miesse’s Let’s talk Chocolate

I mentioned in an earlier entry that Tracy, Dan & Joan’s daughter is the owner of Miesse’s     (mee’ sees) Chocolate here in Lancaster. A company in business since 1875. It is a relatively small company with a RICH heritage. Great product with NO PRESERVATIVES.
Market 020
Taking a picture of Tracy is like trying to get a squirrel to stand still. Summer is not a great time to catch chocolate being made. Just for us, they opened the factory. (You know we are important!!!)  Alex, A Son, gave us a great tour.
Messie factory 004
First a run down on the equipment, some very old:
Messie factory 002
Not sure if Tracy had help, but the displays are great. The above is one of the older scales.  The heavier equipment is pre-1940 vintage, like the pots and mixers. The caramel mixer pulled out and allowed to harden before  cleaning. (I have it on  good authority,  that this is great to break off when hard and chew on.)

Dark chocolate specialty mixer/scraper.

I may mis name some of these, but I have an excuse…….
Below is an original slate table for spreading and working fudge and chocolate…. This sucker is about 4” thick and heavy.

This machine below squirts caramel or What filling needed onto each piece going thru. You can see this on the virtual tour.

Sherry mentioned the famous ‘I Love Lucy’ scene, where she was trying to keep up with the conveyer belt. (Shoulda known, Tracy produced a card board picture of Lucy doing just that!!!)

Alex was quick to point out that this is older equipment with less safety features, and all this is fed and operated by hand. The above is the cutter (sharp blades). The chocolate is run thru on about 18”x18” cutting boards. Turned 90 degrees and ran thru again, if the desire is square. They can be adjusted for different Rectangular shapes.


Another cutter on the left and What we were waiting for ‘CHOCOLATE’. I found  one thing is very critical, temperature! This is mine, Milk Chocolate. (NO SHE WILL NOT DIVULGE THE RECIPE!) They have been in business since 1875 by protecting such things. LOL

Sherry’s favorite, Dark Chocolate, another vat of the good stuff, then of course one of White.



They were turning so slow, I figured I could dip my finger in, but no one would turn their heads! 

The chocolate dip, on a conveyor belt then thru the Chocolate falls inside, followed by a trip thru the cooling tunnel. 

This is for chocolate covered candies and a biggie, Pretzels, covered in white, dark or milk chocolate.
Messie factory 020Messie factory 021
There is Joan, smiling as always and enjoying the taste and her daughter's success. In a pinch around a holiday, the whole family pitches in to help all the regular workers, GIT-R-DONE.
Messie factory 022Messie factory 023
Of course there are samples Winking smile and our picture showing we completed the tour!
Messie factory 025Messie factory 026Messie factory 027
Violins and other musical instruments in chocolate. I loved the chocolate ‘Thank You’ note.
Messie factory 028
I couldn’t resist a pound each of maple with milk chocolate, and  Pecan, caramel in Milk choc. We then splurged and got Sherry a half pound of P-nut butter and dark chocolate.Smile
Everything is hand packed, Tracy is boxing our Candy here:
Messie factory 036Messie factory 039
I will leave you with a view of some chocolate:
Messie factory 029Messie factory 031Messie factory 032
AND Then, what would a factory be without 2nd and 3rd’s on sale:
Messie factory 033
Nite Shipslog
PS:
For a virtual tour and more:
http://www.miessecandies.com/page5/
A little more on chocolate tomorrow WHEN we go to the Famous Central Market in Lancaster.
*************************************************
1915_Ford_Speedster_oct17aBut
1915 Ford speedster! a beauty!

8 comments:

jack69 said...

FrankandMary said...
Well, I see every picture & now I want chocolate :-).

August 4, 2012 10:58 AM
Helen said...
It all looks yummy. To yummy for a diabetic to be drooling over.

August 4, 2012 12:41 PM
jack69 said...
Ohhhh, I failed to mention, They make sugar free products also.
jack. This entry, not every thing when where it should. If you have time, now or later, the virtual tour is good. along with the web site.

http://www.miessecandies.com/page5/

August 4, 2012 1:05 PM
jack69 said...
If I didn't know you better I would think you were a very cruel man, putting pics of all that Chocolate in front of a chocolate lover.

Comment via e-mail from Joan W. out west (UTAH), we are grandparents in law!

August 4, 2012 1:11 PM
Anonymous said...
I started reading your post with interest. I do like chocolate (and I appreciate the help with the pronunciation).
But as I scrolled through picture after picture after picture I realized there was a big problem...
the chocolate is there and I am here.

August 4, 2012 1:36 PM
Paula said...
Kinda mean to wave all that good chocolate in front of us but the tour was interesting. I think I have to go to the store for something.

August 4, 2012 2:00 PM
I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...
It seems I get to comment again here. Am now seeing all your pictures and words about that chocolate tour. Of course now I have to go see if I can find some chocolate to eat here at my house. Everything looked divine! Your choice and Sherry's would be my favorites. Chocolate is good anytime and anyway. It's a 104 on the patio this afternoon, so we went mall walking just to get out and get some exercise. Hope you all are keeping cool there.

August 4, 2012 2:16 PM
Louis la Vache said...
hee hee...
Chocoholic «Louis» enjoyed this!
A very interesting post, Jack!

August 4, 2012 6:54 PM
TARYTERRE said...
Sounds scrumptious and I would have loved to see it, but the photos are not showing up on my browsers.

August 4, 2012 9:14 PM
Bookncoffee said...
I can't see the pictures It's a black screen with a big minus sign in it. I guess it's just as well. I was already hungry as it was. lol I bet a server is off somewhere. Hope you all are doing well.

August 5, 2012 11:25 AM
Chatty Crone said...
I didn't see any chocolate - but I LOVE chocolate! sandie

August 5, 2012 7:55 PM

jack69 said...

I am repeating the Chocolate post, many did not get pictures and some the print was too small. Hope this works better. so this is the second entry today!!!! Sorry to take up son much of your paper. LOL

Chatty Crone said...

Okay I am seeing half the pictures from the fudge down. And it looks so darn good! I'd eat the profits. sandie

Lucy said...

I like milk chocolate but don't care for the dark. Clever way of displaying it. Sherry that baby is adorable!! Glad I had to scroll way down to comment.

Cher' Shots said...

What can I say?! Putting me in a chocolate shop would be like putting a kid in a candy store! Thanks, now I'm drooling!
'love & hugs from afar'

Anonymous said...

Took a while to reach the chocolate ;) as first half is missing them. Please have you all a wonderful Tuesday.

TARYTERRE said...

Will have to check out her place and get my parents some chocolates, next time I'm in town. LOVED the pictures. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Dan and I are sitting here crying because you have left us!!! Thanks for the great visit and also all the info on the blog. We really did have a great time!!!

What do we have to do to open the pictures at the factory?