Sunday, August 26, 2012

On the Appalachian Trail, What do they call you?

Just the audacity of saying you are going to walk over 2,000 miles, calls for a Trail Name. We met a cute young girl called ‘Pig Pen’, Another girl who wore Croc’s, her name was ‘Boats’ (referring to the size of the shoes). ‘Papa Smurf’ who looked just like him. A ‘Fast Hiker’ and ‘Midnight Train’. There was also a ‘Freight Train’. We met ‘Fiber-One’ in Gorham. I also talked to a SOBO (South Bounder) with a cute Beagle pup for company. I asked his name, “Just John” & ‘Billy’.

We have good friends we met on the trail many years ago, “Chilly Willie” and “Just Ray”. Someone from Texas seems to quickly adjust to ‘Cowboy’. We met a fine young man, whose mother, a teacher, had raised him on poetry. He called himself, “Miles to Go”(before I sleep). Sherry will never forget ‘Tin Man’ and ‘Godiva’. We met them in church at Damascus. Later they passed us on the trail and Sherry was suffering TERRIBLY with her heels. ‘Tin Man’ gave her some 800mg Vitamin I.(Ibuprophen). There was ‘In Tents’ and ‘Choo Choo’. Granny and Professor.

I do not know the number of people we have met from other countries who travel here just to hike the internationally known, ‘American Footpath’. But the one we both remember was a young girl who hiked the trail at high speed, ‘Penguin’ from South Africa. LATER, after she finished the trail, we were climbing Blood Mountain and here she comes. ‘Hey,Just showing my friend some highlights.” FULL OF ENERGY.

Trail names:‘Chuck Norris’ and ‘Tiger’, they have hiked all over the world.

Sir Richard from England, Mooseburger from Germany and couples from Australia and New Zealand. Several Canadians, “Just John is one. The ‘Flying Dutchman’ and the ‘Flying Frenchman’ raced on a thru hike. I didn’t hear if they finished or who won.

We are ‘The Overland Hermits’, but for the 100 mile hike, I am gonna be ‘ODD’ (Old Deaf Dude).

The worst name was ‘California Girl’, assigned by his buddies(referring to how he spoke), and it stuck.

I know at least one family on here has hikers, One of my sweethearts down in Opp, Jean.  Her Son is a hiker and kayaker.

Thanks for coming this way.

Nite Shipslog

PS:

A birth certificate shows you were born.
A death certificate shows you have died.
A photo album shows you have lived.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our Motor Home fore runners:

1909motorhomeA good camping outfit

20_ford_rvconversion

9 comments:

Paula said...

Interesting! Reminds me of the "Handles" people had in the days when CB's were popular. Mel was The Texas Strong Bug, Lynda-Butterscotch Babe, Leah-South Texas Tennis Shoe and me Curly Cue.

Dar said...

I agree with Paula, reminds me of the CB handles too...I was MamaBear. So, you are the Overland Hermits, you in particular, ODD, funny, that fits.
LOL, teasin' ya, my friend...no reference to your deafness. I suppose Bill would be BM, being a near blind man and I would have to be Gimpy, bum leg and limping all the time. I think it's all fun, but hikers will surely remember you as the most kind and genuine, next to Fred, that is...love you boys and safe hiking
BlessYourHearts

TARYTERRE said...

I also thought of CB Handles too when I read this about the hikers names. I can't even remember mine??? LOL LOVE the names you picked for the trail.Sounds like you're gearing up for the BIG day. take care.

momto8 said...

we live in the Appalachian trail and my son told me he wants to hike the whole trail before he grows up and gets a job...I will tell hime the story about these interesting hiking names!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's like a whole other world there on the trail. Interesting that everyone chooses names. After a hot sunny weekend the rain is coming down here this morning and what a blessing it is. Hope your Monday is a great one!

Anonymous said...

Love the trail names especially ODD that's a good one

Anonymous said...

I'm sort of afraid what people would nickname me. ~Mary

Louis la Vache said...

hee hee....
That motor home in the lower picture was a real ground breaker in aerodynamics - NOT!

Chatty Crone said...

I agree - reminds me of handles - and CB's - and truckers. I love this quote:

A birth certificate shows you were born.
A death certificate shows you have died.
A photo album shows you have lived.

SO TRUE!

sandie